Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

I have watched healthy corals beat it back. This is a super common algae on the natural reef.
Yeah I understand what you mean. Well I'll see how it goes, maybe I'm just being picky, but I hate how it looks.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

IMO valonia is worse. A few years ago I got super busy on a project and didn't maintain the reef the way I normally do. Had a attack of that stuff. Tried emerald crabs, Foxface, nothing would eat it. I had to harvest it carefully for months while I polished the water for phosphates. Got most of it, but will lift up a rock and find some more.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.
Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!
Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.
Oh gotcha, I was going to make one but I don't have the space in my sump. I've heard they are very helpful though.

And I meant what does the Gfo do on the atomic level? It's 2feO2 but how that bonds with phosphates is a mystery to me.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run a gfo reactor change out gfo every weeks. I do have better luck with the high capacity gfo from brs
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
I run a gfo reactor change out gfo every weeks. I do have better luck with the high capacity gfo from brs
How many weeks?? I thought it was like every two months
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone
Hmm alright thanks. How much would i need to put in for a 30 gal tank with 20 sump? Hopefully not much, it's pricey..

Tags
psi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com