Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

I have watched healthy corals beat it back. This is a super common algae on the natural reef.
Yeah I understand what you mean. Well I'll see how it goes, maybe I'm just being picky, but I hate how it looks.
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Mr. Crabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 346
I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.
__________________

__________________
where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
IMO valonia is worse. A few years ago I got super busy on a project and didn't maintain the reef the way I normally do. Had a attack of that stuff. Tried emerald crabs, Foxface, nothing would eat it. I had to harvest it carefully for months while I polished the water for phosphates. Got most of it, but will lift up a rock and find some more.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.
Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!
Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.
Oh gotcha, I was going to make one but I don't have the space in my sump. I've heard they are very helpful though.

And I meant what does the Gfo do on the atomic level? It's 2feO2 but how that bonds with phosphates is a mystery to me.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bavass's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waynesboro Virginia
Posts: 1,797
I run a gfo reactor change out gfo every weeks. I do have better luck with the high capacity gfo from brs
__________________
bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
I run a gfo reactor change out gfo every weeks. I do have better luck with the high capacity gfo from brs
How many weeks?? I thought it was like every two months
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bavass's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waynesboro Virginia
Posts: 1,797
sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone
__________________
bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone
Hmm alright thanks. How much would i need to put in for a 30 gal tank with 20 sump? Hopefully not much, it's pricey..
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
psi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.