Granular ferric oxide and its effect on bryopsis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bryopsis has been a ruthless algae that is nearly impossible to get rid of for me. Some remedies are magnesium spikes, h2o2 dosing, and vigorous water changes.. But what if none of that works? I've gone as far as getting rid of all my fish for 3 months to try to cut down on nutrients. It worked for a little while, but when I added a clown, it came back. I'm about to buy a Gfo reactor, has it helped anyone else in the battle? I'm close to giving up at this point, I need some help.

I have a lot of bryopsis growing in my algae scrubber. It is very tenacious. I am unaware of anything I have that eats it. Because of the scrubber, the algae just grows in the scrubber and not the reef. I pull it out by handfuls and throw it in the garbage. Pretty good nutrient exporter. I would say your only choice is to reduce organic levels beyond where they are now. A GFO reactor might help.

Also people use tech m by kent. Not sure why but it gets rid of it. I used it and it worked. Just buy a mg test kit so to not overdose. You use double the amount as in instructions. But check your mg before starting.

And I have a gfo reactor and carbon reactor and biopellet reactor. With these running and nitrates were undetectable as were phosphates.

I have a lot of bryopsis growing in my algae scrubber. It is very tenacious. I am unaware of anything I have that eats it. Because of the scrubber, the algae just grows in the scrubber and not the reef. I pull it out by handfuls and throw it in the garbage. Pretty good nutrient exporter. I would say your only choice is to reduce organic levels beyond where they are now. A GFO reactor might help.

Yeah.. The worst case scenerio is that I sell my coral, crush up the rock in the display, and put it in my sump. Start with all new base rock.

Also people use tech m by kent. Not sure why but it gets rid of it. I used it and it worked. Just buy a mg test kit so to not overdose. You use double the amount as in instructions. But check your mg before starting.

I did that, it slowed down growth, but couldn't completely kill it :/

And I have a gfo reactor and carbon reactor and biopellet reactor. With these running and nitrates were undetectable as were phosphates.

Well I hope the Gfo reactor helps. It doesn't really seem to kill it off completely even with low nitrates and phosphates for me.

I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.

IMO valonia is worse. A few years ago I got super busy on a project and didn't maintain the reef the way I normally do. Had a attack of that stuff. Tried emerald crabs, Foxface, nothing would eat it. I had to harvest it carefully for months while I polished the water for phosphates. Got most of it, but will lift up a rock and find some more.

I've seen many tanks over run by that crap. Really stinks too. My nemesis has been Valonia. Just the word pisses me off.

I think you will see results with a GFO in a reactor. ATS would be ideal as mentioned previously.

Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!

Yeah, I will never ever buy a coral that seems sketchy again. It was eagle eye zoas I got it from too... I could've gotten the coral about anywhere else.

Okay that's good, but what's ats? And I asked my chem teacher why this absorbs phosphates and have a feeling I explained something incorrectly. Does anyone know what happens on the atomic level? Just would like to know, I tried googling it and couldn't find much. Thanks!

Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.

Last edited:
Algae turf scrubbing. It is at the heart of my 20 year old reef. It provides filtration stability beyond what can be done chemically. Look up Dr. Walter Addy of the Smithsonian. He wrote a book about natural water filtration systems decades ago. I had to build my own long ago, but it's still running.

It takes phosphorous, nitrogen and other unwanted organics to grow algae. So here you are using it to your benefit. It also helps eliminate nuisance algae from growing in your display tank.

Oh gotcha, I was going to make one but I don't have the space in my sump. I've heard they are very helpful though.

And I meant what does the Gfo do on the atomic level? It's 2feO2 but how that bonds with phosphates is a mystery to me.

sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone

sorry i change it out every 2-3 weeks. I also run carbon in a seperate reactor and I change that out at the same time. When I had algae issues i changes my gfo out ever week till the algae was gone

Hmm alright thanks. How much would i need to put in for a 30 gal tank with 20 sump? Hopefully not much, it's pricey..

Back
Top Bottom