Grape culerpa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is grape culerpa risky to grow in fuge? Local lfs told me to yank most of it out because he only recomends cheato Because culerpa can turn all white go asexual and has had customers tanks crash because of this. Ive got this stuff grown all over rock in my fuge.

I have a bunch of caulerpa in my fuge. I would just keep the lights on the fuge for 24/7 and it shouldn't go sexual. They'll start going sexual if you put them on a 12on/12off light cycle. When it goes sexual it releases gametes into the water to fertilize and begin growing elsewhere. When it does this, the macroalgae turns all white and falls apart and dies. It is a last ditch effort to continue its species. It'll also do that if there no more nutrients to support it so much (that's why you trim it back), and it could do this with a large temp drop. This is all just what I've read about it before I put it into my sump...

Cheato smells and traps detritus. Go against the grain and choose caulerpa!

I have alot of it in my fuge. As long as you keep it trimmed and run your fuge lights 24/7 you`ll do OK. Been doing that in my tank for 14 yrs now.

I have the Red Grape Caulerpa and it is not growing at all and really wish it would. I did have it in my DT but took it out asap when I saw my Naso eating it. It is too pretty and I did not want it being eaten so I took it out and put it in my sump/refuge that I had to make into a tank to house my Pipefish since I had no other tank available to put him in. I have my lights on 16hrs/7days. I have some other stuff in there fern looking plant and just now added a small batch of Chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom