Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brund
My poor fishies are very stressed and not swimming much
Wish i had known about fishless cycling!
Keep up the water changes, I think it is your best hope.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, I am! Ive been doing them twice a day even....the notrte is almost zero but the amonia is sky high! Ive ised that amquell that detoxofies the amonia? Idk if it really works but figured its worth a try. The clownfish seem to be doing better, swimming around more and eating, and the shrimp is moving around a lot..the yellow tailed blue damsel has mostly been hiding though and hasnt eaten for two days
Plus my tank STINKS! I figure because of the high amonia? Whatever the reason it cant go awY fast enough....hopefully without my fish!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You had a major die off, probably on the live rock. Fish were introduced way too early as the tank hadn't fully cycled. Might try some ammonia absorbing products for a quick fix until cycling completes.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #14

Yeah, unfortunately I found that out after I had fish! At the time I had read you needed fish to cycle the tank and the lfs had agreed! So far the fish are still hanging in there. I used amquell which is supossed to lower the ammonia (and nitrite, bc a couple days ago nitrite was also high) can i use the amno lock which is supossed to detoxify it at the same time, do you know? Right now the nitrite is almost 0 and the ammonia is off the charts! I should expect the ammonia to go down next and the nitrite to spike right?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, you are right.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #16

Thanks for all your help.
Anyone know if you can use amquell and amno lock together?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #17

Just to update....nitrite and amonia are both back to zero and all fish (and coral banded shrimp) lived! Thanks for your help!
Brings me to another question, does anybody know if a coral bamded shrimp could eat two emerald shrimp? I bought two last night for the algae and today cant find them anywhere! I figure they're hiding....except it looks like there is a small piece of leg on one of the LR?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My coral banded is ruthless. I had for years been under the assumption that they were reef safe. And while I have no documentable evidence to convict the shrimp of serial murder, there is signs that he has been up to no good. Mine has grown huge and only comes out to hunt at night.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #19

Jeez! What a creep! I find it hard to believe he could have killed and eaten two in one night....but im wondering more and more....especially with the 'possible evidence' of what could be a leg. Ive seen him snap at my fish a couple time! He has already molted twice! He hides behind this one rock all the time..started to remind me of the wicked witch of the west who lived on that mountain!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #20

Do you feed your shrimp? And if so how do you get the food to him without the fish eating it?

Tags
gravel, gravel vac, gravel vacuum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com