Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gravel vacuum

So I've read that I should use a gravel vacuum and that I shouldn't. My 5 week old tank has high nitrite and high ammonia 2.0 ppm for both (after two water changes today!) From reading it seems that not having used a gravel vacuum yet could be the problem? But I've also read not to use them if you don't have an under gravel filter (I don't). I currently have two ocellaris clowns and a yellow tailed blue damsel. Please advise!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

What is the size of the tank?
This is a brand new system, there are expected spikes as it starts to cycle.
What kind of filtration?
What kind of substrate is it, sand or crushed coral? Where did you get it?
Do you have live rock?

Too many questions.

Don't stir anything up as that can make things worse fast. Until we all know more start with gradual water changes and keep it up. You can siphon the sand out while being careful you don't stir things up, then wash the sand in a bucket, if that turns out to be the source. More likely something died, or you are overfeeding. Then the sand can be redistributed in a a plastic cup on the bottom.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Thanks, sorry....wasn't thinking aboutthe fact that my tank info wouldn't be included with this new thread ....and I haven't been able to figure out how to edit my profile from the phone app? Maybe you can't?
Anyway, 30 gallon tank, 5-6 week old, sand covered with gravel....marineland filter and protein skimmer. Two t5 24 watt bulbs (have ordered new lites bc I want to have coral eventually). It is really strange bc the nite before I and the LFS had checked the water and there were trace nitrites and trace ammonia, did my weekly water change and both shot up to 2. nothing has died unless it's a hermit crab? I have 12, could one of them dying even cause it? How would I know if it was dead? I have two ocellaris clowns and a blue yellow tailed damsel and a coral banded shrimp. All doing ok, haven't even looked stressed which is also odd (I saw them look stressed once before). I know my readings are correct bc I used about three strips and double checked with API kit. Also checked the LFS water I had used for the change and it was perfect! I'll be glad when my tank is a few months old! So far this hobby has been stressing me out . (or wish I had read about fishless cycling before I had fish!)
Any other advice appreciated!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Patience is my only advice. It takes a while for a new system to stabilize. Keep up with the water changes. You could try to use a product like Polysorb or others to reduce the organics, but in the end, it is water changes that will nudge the waste products down.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Ok....should I do 20% every other day until the levels are back down? Tx for all your help!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would keep up on the water changes until the levels are down to 0 for ammonia and nitrite. especially since you have fish in there.

I don't vacuum my sand very much in my tanks, theres usually not much to suck up on the top since I have good waterflow. If you are getting residue on and in your sand you might want to add a powerhead or two or if you have 2 already adjust them. Mucking the sand up with a vacuum nozzle isn't good for the tanks parameters, it releases nasties when you do that.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would keep up on the water changes until the levels are down to 0 for ammonia and nitrite. especially since you have fish in there.

I don't vacuum my sand very much in my tanks, theres usually not much to suck up on the top since I have good waterflow. If you are getting residue on and in your sand you might want to add a powerhead or two or if you have 2 already adjust them. Mucking the sand up with a vacuum nozzle isn't good for the tanks parameters, it releases nasties when you do that.
That's why if you are going to do it you need to siphon the sand directly out of the tank for washing.
I would do 10% every other day, or 20% every week until parameters are okay. Be sure your fresh makeup water is okay as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

My poor fishies are very stressed and not swimming much
Wish i had known about fishless cycling!

Tags
gravel, gravel vac, gravel vacuum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com