Gravel Vacuuming deep sand beds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you do vacuuming of your DSB?

• Yes, I do a full vacuum every change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I use tricks (see attached text)

• No, I let my sand bed do its thing

• No, but I stir up the sand bed every now and then for the filter and filterfeeders

• Total voters

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fellow fish geeks,

I have been keeping a deep sand bed on all 4 of my reef tanks for a long time, and have found by my experience that the most efficient way of running a bed like that is to do several things. My experience leads me to belive that most water changes should be done without vacuuming the sand bed, but that about once every 4 months, a random third or so of the gravel gets vacuumed. That way I export nutrients and at the same time I keep the sand bed healthy. However, I am more than happy to learn from other peoples ideas, experiences and decisions. So, could you please take this poll and provide the community with any insight that you have.

Andrej Spec

my tanks has only been up for a couple years now so that is the extent of my experience with them. My sand bed consists of 90% CC and 10% LS purchased from a stocked tank at the LFS.

I never do anything to my sand bed. There are dozens of worms, snails and you name that are always moving through my substrate. The only think on my substrate is coraline algae covers the small snail shells etc.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom