Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy green algae

my tank is starting to get a green algae and i dont want it to get out of control. what can i do to stop the problem!!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
What is your water sorce? Treated tap or RO/DI or water bought from the store? What do you use to top off your tank? What kind of filtration do you have? How many fish do you have and how often do you feeD?

Algae comes from excess nutrients and/or excess sunlight or a combo.
Answering these questions will help us help you!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use treated tap (dechlorinated), I feed every afternoon(they eat every bit of what gets put in to the tank), and there are 5 fish (2clowns and 3 damsels) and a whisper 60 filter> any suggestions
Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&rae View Post
I use treated tap (dechlorinated), I feed every afternoon(they eat every bit of what gets put in to the tank), and there are 5 fish (2clowns and 3 damsels) and a whisper 60 filter> any suggestions
Can you get a pic of the algae posted?

The tap water could be the beginning of the issue but only part of it.

What do you have in the whisper 60 for media? How often do you do water changes? What kind of food are you feeding your fish? How long has this tank been set up? How much live rock do you have in the tank?

Test your water for NitrAtes and also test your tap water for NitrAtes.

One of the best investments you can make in the hobby is getting a RO/DI unit to filter your tap water. RO/DI water is pretty much pure water. Check on ebay you can get one for under $100 shipped.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this algae on the glass, or on the rocks? And do you have any snails in this tank yet?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy

the filter is using the store bought replacements for it! (what a good option). tap water and aquarium water all test good for everything! i test the nitrates & nitrites, ph, ammonia, weekly.
I use ocean nutrition "formula" flakes. I switch every few days between that blue and green label. (was recommend to enhance fish color) and i feed them frozen brine shrimp (once a week)
The tank has 40-50 lbs of lace rock and a lb or 2 of live rock! it has not been set up that long. Kinda, the tank and sand is new but the rock fish and about half the water came form a different tank i had. This one has been setup about a month..
There was a piece of driftwood that was in the other tank that seemed to have a large amount of algae on it so i removed it today.(never had algae on it before even in the other tank)
And no the algae is still not enough to show in pics to identify but it is a "hair" type. it is only in a few small spots in the front glass and on the wood That i removed today, i just dont want it to get out of control!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exclamation

is this good filter and how hard will it be to set up
will i be able to set it up to "auto top off my tank" cheap and easy
ebay #120331551454
Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just curious, on this new aquarium are you using different bulbs at all? I just set up my aquarium around a month (even less)... I used my freshwater plant grow-lights and mixed some seaweed in the water (took some sea-weed, chopped it into tiny pieces with a blender, and mixed it into some of my aquarium SW, to 'seed' some algae growth.) I did this because my LR came with an lawnmower blenny, some snails, and other creatures that need some algae growth. Within around 3-4 days I finally began seeing the same as you. Tiny spurs of green algae hair appearing on my aquarium glass, on my surface skimmer box, and aquarium heater. I then switched my lighting to 10000k and 6000k bulbs, the algae 'bloom' has stopped in its tracks for the past 10 days or so.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this article for proven ideas on combating algea.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database....id=11&itemid=5

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snails? Any? If you don't have any, then you should probably expect some algae.

Regarding tap water testing "good", well... it's just testing good for what you're testing for. Lord knows what's really in it. And what's in it today may be different tomorrow. I've been down that road... and we're talking about "good" municipal water, not well water. Not saying you absolutely need RO/DI water, but don't rule out your source water just because a few tests read "0". It might be worth switching to store bought distilled or water from your LFS for a while to see if it doesn't change the situation.

That's assuming you have an adequate cleanup crew.

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com