Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey, don't you save some sort of Fuge mod on your Fluval can?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nope, just on the biocube. I dont use the 55g anymore except for qt purposes.

I just keep mostly biomedia in the fluval on it.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

My bad, I thought I read you had chaeto & small led light in the foam side.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Nope, just on the biocube. I dont use the 55g anymore except for qt purposes.

I just keep mostly biomedia in the fluval on it.
What is a fluval and how is your cube set up? If there's a better way to set up my fuge and back portion of my 29 cube I'd love to get some ideas from you. Also, what is the "foam portion" lol I've noticed some foam at times in the fuge- not sure if that's what your talking about....
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fluval is an external canister filter for mechanical, chemical & bio filtration. The foam part is where you place foam filter pads for mechanical filtration.

I read somewhere, really not sure where now, that you could take out the foam & replace it with chaeto lit by a led light inside.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a fluval 305 on the 55g sw tank that i used before going up to the 125g.

The cube has these mods

BioCube 29 Package Deal - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies
JBJ Nano-Glo

The light attaches with a magnet so you can light the fuge area which i so far only have cheato and mangroves in, I paln on adding some live rock rubble too. In the media chambers I use chemipure elite, then purigen then a filter pad on top. Here's a picture of the setup from the top view.
Both the fuge and media tray take up the entire center chamber and you cant see it but the far left chamber is empty now. I tried a biocube skimmer but it was garbage. So the flow is directed to a filter pad, then goes down thru the other media and flows into the fuge area and then into the return section.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow! That's a lot of help thank you! Awesome setup! One question.. There's a tray that separates the the fuge area in half. Should I take that out? Is it removable without cutting it out if I should? Right now small strands of cheato have made it through that tray into the bottom and started growing, now they've grown into large balls but no way I can get it out if I needed to. I wanna look into doing mangroves in there... Wouldn't I need to be able to utilize that lower portion if adding mangroves?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I broke out the bottom tray so everything sits on the very bottom. I have the stock sponge still in there so it keeps any free floating chaeto from getting in the return pump. I do occasionally clean out the cheato tray so I ahvent had any issues with it slipping through to the bottom.

As far as the mangroves, mine are really small still. They were only about 3-4 inches when I got them. I stuck them as far down as I could and the chaeto kinda holds them in place.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool. I'm gonna order that kit. Im sure it will help out a lot! IMO I think they should have made that tray removable.... Thanks again for the info!

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com