Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green algae

Hi guys I set up my tank 3 months ago, after cycle I had little problem with brown algae but that slowly disappearing over time but now I found this green thing in my sand bed, could you guys tell me what sort of thing and how to get rid off them, my water parameters always normal never
Had ammonia nitrate nitride problem but had high calcium 500ppm and 1.0 phosphate so I planning to get phosphate reactor and 80cm long hang on refugium and add more soft corals soon, any advise would be appreciated, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-124055338.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	130633   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3771634090.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	130634  

Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a pretty cool shape for the tank, what size is it? 1.0 phosphates is extremely high which is the cause to your algae. Are you using Ro/Di water for mixing and topoffs?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
That's a pretty cool shape for the tank, what size is it? 1.0 phosphates is extremely high which is the cause to your algae. Are you using Ro/Di water for mixing and topoffs?
It's 50 gallon, i use Ro/Di from LFS, problem with this tank I can't fit sump cabinet too small, I'm running marisys240 this is why Im goin ti get refugium, thanks hope All this problem goes away once I install reactor.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It'll take some time at 1.0 but the big issue here is how did it get so high? Do you feed heavily daily? Do you rinse frozen foods in Ro/Di before feeding?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
It'll take some time at 1.0 but the big issue here is how did it get so high? Do you feed heavily daily? Do you rinse frozen foods in Ro/Di before feeding?
Yes I rinse frozen foods, and I feed once in day and sometime once every 2 days, i don't over feed dry foods but then when I feed mysis cube I find it bit too much, my life stock so far 2 clown, 2 green chromis, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 hermit crab, brown polyps, 5 little anemones. I hand feed polyps and anemones and rest of the mysis and brain shrimp float around for bout 3-4 min, you think I should cut the cube in half?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes. I have a 120 that I feed 1/2 cube every 6th day. I feed every other day and rotate between mysis, seaweed, and pellets. I will also rotate the my sis feeding between mysis and brine shrimp, but again I only give them half a cube that has been thawed and rinsed in ro/di.
Check your change water too. I recently found my ro/di was adding ammonia and phosphates into my tank. It also feeds my ato. So now I'm battling cyano and gha.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted
Yes. I have a 120 that I feed 1/2 cube every 6th day. I feed every other day and rotate between mysis, seaweed, and pellets. I will also rotate the my sis feeding between mysis and brine shrimp, but again I only give them half a cube that has been thawed and rinsed in ro/di.
Check your change water too. I recently found my ro/di was adding ammonia and phosphates into my tank. It also feeds my ato. So now I'm battling cyano and gha.
Cheers I'll start feeding 1/2 cube, and I remember some1 telling me not all LFS sell 0 tds RO/DI, I think either I should make my own RO/DI or get tds meter.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Take a look at this link. It could help you reduce phosphate and nitrate.
Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com