Green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkociban

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have green algae growing all over my tank and it is killing my coral. What can I put in there to eat it.

Attachments

• image-2562849807.jpg
    image-2562849807.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 139
I have green algae growing all over my tank and it is killing my coral. What can I put in there to eat it.

You'd wanna find the root of the problem. Clean up crew will help but only mask your issue. Algae is caused by excessive nutrients. Have you checked your parameters? How often do you feed? What's your lighting schedule. How often do you perform water changes?

Do you use any media like phosguard or something like it? Anything at all?

Also how long has your tank been up and running?

I feed every other day. I have 4 fish. I do water changes about every month and a half. The lights are on all day and turn them off at night.

I would do water changes every week for a while. Keep feeding at a minimum. Starving the algae will take some time but that's the way to do it.

You would have to identify the algae you have and see if you can find something that will actually eat it. Not all algae is palatable to all herbivores.

Believe it is green hair algae. I have started water changes and bought two turbo snails and a blenny. Should I do anything else?

I've never seen turbo snails or blennies eat hair algae, but the water changes is a good thing. Cutting back your feeding might be a good idea also.

The snails are eating it but so far the blenny hasn't done anything.

Algae growth is fueled by nutrient rich water. Work on getting that addressed, and let the snails take care of the HA then.

Hey tevin, sorry to hear about the issues your having. Did you ever get around to running a sump? Also your not using tap water are you? Let me know how it goes and I may have some extra frags I can hook you up with if your losing what you got.

The lfs said if you put that chemical in tap water to take all the other chemicals out you could use it. We're they wrong and I'm looking to get a bigger tank just trying to find one at a descent price.

There is no chemical that takes everything out of tap water. Tap water conditioner simply takes the deadly chlorine out of the equation.

Well, you can use it, but minerals are still entering your tank. Things that can fuel nuisance algae blooms, and negatively effect corals. It depends how bad your tap water is to start with.

I've never seen turbo snails or blennies eat hair algae, but the water changes is a good thing. Cutting back your feeding might be a good idea also.

Mexican turbo snails and lawn mower blennies eat long hair algea

Back
Top Bottom