Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

green algae

Hi all,

I just got my new PC lights and they have made a great improvement in my tank. My corals seem especially fond of it. (i think the polyps are smiling).

I also seem to have brought about a sort of algae bloom. Should this be expected? It is bright green in color and is starting to cover my LS and DSB. I know it is not the dreaded CYANO. The color is all wrong and the EVIL CYANO never got on my LR.

Also, i added to my SB the same night I added the lights. I added about 3/4" depth all around. I did rinse the sand thouroughly first and then mixed it in with the existing SB. My tank stayed crystal clear. Do you think my water quality will go through any type of mini cycle while incorporating the new sand into the bacteria bed?

Always needing something,
Howard

Old 08-06-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well...could be cyano. Cyano is actually a blue-green algae/bacteria -- we often see it as red or maroon in our tanks, but just as often, it is a greenish color.

Is it like a slimy, almost velvety coating? If yes, then it's likely cyano.

Quote:
Do you think my water quality will go through any type of mini cycle while incorporating the new sand into the bacteria bed?
Was it live sand? If not, then no. If yes, then the amount of "die-off" (and subsequent cycling) will be dependent on how long it was out of the water.

HTH,

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get some snails and fish that like algae... yellow tang, angel fish, algae blenny....
Old 08-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think that it looks slimey. It is a deffinate shade of bright green. it is like a carpet on my DSB and about 1/2 my LR. It is holding small bubbles from my PH defuser.

As for the sand. I started the tank with LS, but thought that I should have a deeper bed so I added just regular sand to it. I somewhat mixed it in to help the bacteria spread.

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com