green algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam petty

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im getting green algae on the front of my glass and the back how is it coming back so quick as i do 10% pwc every week.

Need some more info:

What kind of lighting are you using and how long per day?
Is this tank Reef or FOWLR?
How big is the tank and how long has it been running?
What is the stock?
What kind of water are you using for your water changes (tap or RODI?)
What is your nitrate at?
How about Phosphate?
What kind of filtration are you using?

Sorry using aquabeam 600 led lights and the blue one comes on 2hrs in the morning before the white ones kick in they on for 8hrs then the blue ones come on for another two hours then its lights out.
Tank is a 40liters wall hung reef tank.
Nitrate shows on the api master kit roughly 20ppm hard to tell.
Filters are eheim 2008 150/300 l/h
And the other filter i dont reakly now it came with the tank.
Got a hydor pump flow rate 900l/h.

What kind of water are you using?
What is your PO4 testing at?

Using a canister filter, and if you are not using RODI water, it will be difficult to maintain a suitable nitrate level, not only to house coral, but also to prevent the growth of nuisance algae. 20ppm nitrate in a reef tank is on the high side, and algae will be able to easily capitalize on this excess of nutrients in the system.

Using rodi from lfs only put this in when water evaporates from lights. And as far pwc i but my reef saltwater pre mixed by lfs too. I only got trst kit for ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite. The lfs checked the others ones i need for coral and he said that was fine last week. Tank is appox 4 months old.

I would get a phosphate test kit if I were you. I suspect your canister filtration is causing an issue. If they are not kept pristine they become nitrate factories.

I would suggest eliminating the canisters and going to a sump system with some live rock and macro algae if you have the room. Otherwise with those lights and 20 ppm nitrate you are going to continue to have algae issues.

I will get more reef test kit in the week i think.
As far as my filter goes its only got the spounge in there which i clean everyweek in the tank water i take out. And ive got 3 bits of live rock in there now. What a sump filter then cause room is a issue due to it being a wall hung tank.
Which is above my fireplace.
Woulda protein skimmer solve this issue.

A skimmer would help, no question. I don't know that it would completely solve the issue.

So how do i keep my filter in pristine then? By cleaning like im doing everyweek?
I got 4 hermit crabs
4 turbo snails
2 cleaner shrimp
2 wild clowns
1 royal gramma.
I thought the snails would take care of this?

LOL it is almost impossible. That is why folks rarely if ever recommend using a canister filter on a reef system. Canister filter + high lighting required for coral = algae.

Snails are not going to keep the glass spotless. No critter will. They eat in streaks, they don't care if they make it pretty ;)

All tanks are going to have some amount of growth on the glass - I clean my glass usually 2 or 3 times a week. It is part of keeping an aquarium. However, at 20ppm nitrates, you are going to have more issues than most.

Ok thanks so ill have to clean glass more regular then. Was told on here that the api test kit that u need to divide your result by 4 for a true reading this right?

No that is not right.

Invest in a piranha mag float. They are pricey but make quick work of cleaning glass. Far superior to the chincy plastic mag floats.

;)

They cost a bit for what they are but work very well. Usually one pass takes care of it all.

I looked on ebay and that model u said would have to come from the us.
Im in the uk so id be waiting ages so i just bought a cheaper one so see how that goes for now cheers for ur help.
Was thinking about putting a v2 protein skimmer in there a 120 nano. Are they loud do u now cause the tank is in the living wall and its very quite at the moment.

Not sure on that particular model but most skimmers do produce some noise.

Back
Top Bottom