Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
doesn't skimming remove iodine? I understand what you are saying about don't add anything you can't test for. it only stands to reason. I don't dose much. when I went to a shop in florida, the guy there showed me the sups he adds to his tanks and his tanks are extremly healthy. we run the same approx equipment except for the MH lighting. which I plane to add within the next 6 mo. he stated that for every 100 watts of light you use, the corals will respond 20% better. light, light, light. to a point of cooking temperature I would imagine without having to use a chiller which is more added expence. I find my scarlet cleaner shrimp molts about 2 times a month with the addition. the softies are well extended. the leathers are growing at a good pace. my green goni has excellent extention as well.

stuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by stuffer
doesn't skimming remove iodine?
never heard of that before.. No is my answer..

Like others have said that algae is normal in tanks and getting 1000 snails and crabs will not help with this type of algae.
how old are your bulbs? I recently got a New"used" PC light for my 55 and I never had cyno and had little algae on the glass until I added the PC light. Now I have a ton of algae on the glass daily and I am just getting over the biggest Cyno out break I have ever had. My guess is the bulbs are older in the light then what I was told so I will be getting new bulbs soon.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Another of the additives that increases both the oxidation and the redox potential of your tank's water is Iodine, usually available in the potassium iodine form. It is used for a totally different purpose however. Iodine is needed by all living things and especially by macro-algae. It is removed rapidly from the reef tank by protein skimming and ozone, as pointed out again, recently, by Moe (1989).

Because it is a required nutrient some hobbyists add it as supplement, which is fine and should be done on a regular basis. The danger resides in the fact that one can overdose rather easily on iodine and make the redox potential rise too fast. Follow the instructions on the bottle that it comes in carefully
stuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Well anyway, I thought that was some dog gone good info Lando.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good info here in this thread.

I would not dose unless you test, and yes, skimmers will remove trace elements from the water. The more powerful the skimmer, the more they can remove. The good that they do, however, in removing disolved organics far outweights the bad by removing trace elements and you should be doing PWC anyway which fixes this problem.

Maybe, in very heavily stocked systems dosing would be needed, but then again, I would not do it without a test kit.

The sunlight has caused me this problem in the past. WAY back in the day when I was running a 55 with perfecto lights I got a huge green algae problem when I moved my tank too close to a window. I figured it was the house window because the algae grew the most heavily on the single pane of glass facing that window. I got the same problem from a 39gallon mirror back tank once, the mirror on the back of the tank grew algae from perfecto lights like a lab culture. If I forgot to clean it once a week it blocked the light from the mirror, the algae died off, and the tank crashed. Now that mirror back is a fresh water tank.

I would test your tank for everything possible that could cause algae issues, make sure nothing is out of wack first, just so that you don't do something dumb and make it worse by mistake.

If all checks out ok, I would guess that you are just going to have to scrape a lot. Some snails do a better job than others at getting algae off the glass. I like cearth (sp?) snails the best for this. No amount of snails will ever get it all, however. Part of the fun of keeping these things i guess.
abnmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
Phophates most likely.

I clean the "powder green" algae forming at the front of my tank every other day. It's just part of it. Unless ofcourse you have an intricate and expensive setup. Then you will have to start tweeking and demand more performance.

Other than that, your tank sounds perfectly healthy.

We live and we learn
AMANIQU77 is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, glass, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com