Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

green algae on glass every day.....

I have a 55 reef with 265w PC's. set up for 2 years now. it sits 90 deg to a window about 5 feet away. it gets indirect sunlight. Every day I have to scrape green powder like algae from the glass. if I let it go for any longer than that, it becomes harder to remove with the magnet cleaner. I mean I have to this every day after work just so I can see clearly into the tank. some days are better than others but it's getting old. anybody else go through this?

Old 05-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have a cleaning crew?

Old 05-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How long are you running your lights? What kind of critters do you have, how often/what do you feed?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check you PO4 levels. Mine where slightly elevated (over1) and I was getting the same thing along with some hair algae. I started using a PO4 sponge and the glass stays clear much longer.

Cleanup crew will help, but not control it alone.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the same thing and trust me .... you could pack your tank full of snails and they wouldn't dent it, actually they only make little circular tracks in it and never really get it off.

I've checked my PO4 levels and mine are reading under 1, I only feed every other day and very light because I only have a clown and a Gramma. I feed frozen Mysis, Reef Mix and every now and then some Cyclo-peeze.

I've gotten so used to cleaning it everyday that it doesn't bother me anymore ... not as much as the dang MicroBubbles from my HOB filter anyway!!!

Do you run a skimmer? I've been told that if you get a skimmer it will clear your water and any thin film algea off the glass, but I don't know how true that is!
All I know is I'm watching for a good one (HOB of course) to become available and I'm getting it.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #6

I will have to get a PO4 test kit. I run lights 12 hrs rotating moon lights, actinics, daylight. I have about 6 large snails, (2 LARGE turbo, 4 trocheus) 20 or so crabs. I feed light for the amount of fish I have. (8). I run the AquaC remorah pro skimmer. (Ebay 120.00 w/mag 5). I have no other bad algae other than that. I have a 10 gal refugium w/chaeto and LR and LS. 14W PC lights run 24/7. Carbon, Purigen in the sump. I try to clean it in the morning when everything is retracted and the moon lights are the only ones on. I dose iodine 1 time a week. and artemia fry 2 times a week. everything in the tank is doing really well. from the fish to all the 8 corals and 2 BTA's. (was 1 and it split)
Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, this type of algae is pretty normal in a tank. I have to clean the glass on my aquariums 2-3 times/week to get rid of it.
Quote:
I dose iodine 1 time a week
Is there a reason for this? Dosing iodine can be especially dangerous to a tank and most of the time it is not needed. Regular water changes will keep trace elements, including iodine, at proper levels. If you coontinue to use it I strong suggest you get an iodine test kit if you do not already have one.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #8

esplane dangerous. please.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not dose anything you are not testing for. I use to dose based on LFS advice. What I found out once I aquired the proper test kits was that everything is in the salt mix if you keep up on PWC.

Dosing without testing can lead to levels which can be toxic to some species of fish and corals.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Every system will process iodine at a different rate. By adding it without knowing what your current level is, you can get an unhealthy accumulation of it. In small amounts idoine is thought to benefit soft corals, anemoens and shrimp (aids in molting). As a dietarty suppliment it is also thought to add in the treatment of HLLI disease in tangs, but there is not much evidence for this. Best practice is to skip the suppliments and rely on regular water changes to replensih any depleted trace elements.

Tags
algae, glass, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com