Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I was talking about the machines out front of the stores. No DI. You are OK.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I personally have never used DI water for any of my tanks. Just RO from the kitchen under sink unit. Never had a problem, and I have a tank full of sps. I did order the portable 150 system yesterday, can't wait to get it. No more moving the dishes to stick my 5 gallon bucket under the faucet. Love the 150 gallon output too, as my house one only makes 12 gallons a day.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
I personally have never used DI water for any of my tanks. Just RO from the kitchen under sink unit. Never had a problem, and I have a tank full of sps. I did order the portable 150 system yesterday, can't wait to get it. No more moving the dishes to stick my 5 gallon bucket under the faucet. Love the 150 gallon output too, as my house one only makes 12 gallons a day.
The total gals per day will be very dependent on your water pressure. Once you have it hooked up, run it for at least 1/2 hour to get the manufacturing stuff out of it before you use it. I found mine really improved it's output after a couple of uses. Also, make sure you don't have any kinks in any of the tubing.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

The total gals per day will be very dependent on your water pressure. Once you have it hooked up, run it for at least 1/2 hour to get the manufacturing stuff out of it before you use it. I found mine really improved it's output after a couple of uses. Also, make sure you don't have any kinks in any of the tubing.
Okay, will do, thanks. One other thought since I haven't seen the unit yet. Does the first prefilter contain carbon? I thought I heard somewhere a while back that when the first filter has carbon it removes chlorine type chemicals which greatly increases ro membrane life. I also noticed my home unit has a carbon / sediment prefilter as well. I'm not an expert though.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Okay, will do, thanks. One other thought since I haven't seen the unit yet. Does the first prefilter contain carbon? I thought I heard somewhere a while back that when the first filter has carbon it removes chlorine type chemicals which greatly increases ro membrane life. I also noticed my home unit has a carbon / sediment prefilter as well. I'm not an expert though.
If you get the POQ-4B-15 the second stage has carbon.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is the unit I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110691607171...84.m1439.l2649
Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you scroll down, you will see that it gives a description of each of the 4 stages. Stage 2 has carbon.

Tags
algae, green algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com