green algae on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yurithon0528

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there..im new to saltwater aquarium..im just wondering if anyone can help me understand if green algae growing on my tank is ok?or how can i solve this problem?i would appreciate it if anyone can help.thanks..

The salinity level is within limit. Feeding is 3x a day in small amounts. i use tap water,lighting is on most of d time i use halogen lamp...

Welcome to the forum!!!

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitritre and nitrate? The algae is most likely being caused by tthe tap water and overfeeding. Unless oyu have a needy fish you can feed just once a day. And if you can buy your water from the fish store that would help even more. Since your mixing your own salt water you can also get ro/di water from your local supermarket from one of those machines for 30 cents a gallon.

Distilled water is fine. But a halogen light? That's your culprit. It is too yellow, that's why you have algae.

From what I have read distilled is actually better than RO/DI. Distilled water is the water vapor from boiling water. RO/DI is easier to do yourself plus you don't have to buy it. Don't get me wrong I have my own RO/DI so that's what I use. Sry didn't mean to hijack thread.

carey said:
Welcome to the forum!!!
you can also get ro/di water from your local supermarket from one of those machines for 30 cents a gallon.

Not to nit pick, but those machines are only RO, they do not have DI.

The machines I got my water from were in fact ro/di. Had little pictures of every filter and an explanation on the front. They were also were inspected weekly with a log on the front as here in florida its considered a "food product".

Not sure about the walmart machines though, but I know my publix and winn dixie were the same.

carey said:
The machines I got my water from were in fact ro/di. Had little pictures of every filter and an explanation on the front. They were also were inspected weekly with a log on the front as here in florida its considered a "food product".

Not sure about the walmart machines though, but I know my publix and winn dixie were the same.

Be careful of the walmart machines. That water wiped out a friends tank. The key is to check the last date of inspection as Carey points out. I just buy distilled water from my local supermarket for .79/gallon. Hopefully I'll get an ro/di setup soon.

Be careful of the walmart machines. That water wiped out a friends tank. The key is to check the last date of inspection as Carey points out. I just buy distilled water from my local supermarket for .79/gallon. Hopefully I'll get an ro/di setup soon.

For 79 cents a gallon you shoudl totally get your own machine. LOL. I paid like $70 for mine and it does 75gpd and the water is coming out with 0 TDS. Worth every penny and NO lugging jugs or buckets or anything. I even store the machine when not in use so it takes up like no room. :)

carey said:
For 79 cents a gallon you shoudl totally get your own machine. LOL. I paid like $70 for mine and it does 75gpd and the water is coming out with 0 TDS. Worth every penny and NO lugging jugs or buckets or anything. I even store the machine when not in use so it takes up like no room. :)

What brand do you have?

carey said:
They don't seem to have the exact one I do anymore, I have the 75 gpd version. Here is the exact same one but 100gpd

0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration | eBay

I'll have you know I paid the same for just a 75gpd unit. lol

Thanks, I've never seen a portable ro-di unit. How does it hook up to a water supply, and have you tested the filtered water for phosphates and nitrates? Looks cool, my wife would love the idea of me not using our kitchen sink ro unit anymore. Guess it's time to spend more money.

I have the garden hose attachment so I do it on my back patio. It just screws right on and off, easy to store too. You can also get it with a faucet adaptor and just take off the screen type thingee from it and attach it there. You just have to tell them which adaptor you want when you order.

I use mine outside so the waste water can flow to my lawn and flowers, I get a 3 to 1 ratio pretty much as far as "good" and "waste" water which seems to be the norm.

Oh, yeah almost forgot. I tested it for phosphates and nitrates which came in at 0. TDS is also at 0 while my tap water is at 230. eek! lol

TDS= total dissolved solids. When I got my ro/di unit I got a cheapo tds meter so I can tell when it;s time to change the cartridges. :)

I followed here advice but for $10 bucks extra got the 150 gal a day version. It is set up on my deck with float valve to shut it off and is connected to a large solid tote with a snap on cover. Carey did me right on this one for sure. I am even starting to use it to top off my two ponds in the back yard to help keep the algae under control for my koi.

You can use the waste water to water your grass or garden. I use the waste water for my FW fish.

Carey, with respect. Look at those diagrams again. There is a sediment filter, charcol filter, UV sterilizer, Reverse osmosis membrane, then another charcol filter (for taste, lol). No DI resin. Which is good, as drinking DI water has been mentioned to be bad. Before I hooked up my RO/DI at home, I would run my 5 gallon bottle through a zero water pitcher. I still purchase drinking water from the kiosks, and the TDS is usualy 12-25 except one, which I believe did not filter the water at all. I was given a tour of a stand alone kiosk. The filters are 3 feet tall. For maintaining, all tha really needs to be done is back flush the RO membrane. I worked at a dialysis clinic, their filters were 6' tall and cost $10K. It was only RO though, otherwise I would have started a business with the water they dumped out every morning.

Back
Top Bottom