green algae on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting to get green fuzzy algae on my LR. I think I've found the cause of the problem. While doing my weekly water change this evening, I found out that there was tons of detritus in the crevices of the rock. I took a turkey baster and started blowing the stuff out but I didn't want to get too much of it floating around. It's only a 20 gallon tank. Last time I did that, I lost 2 clowns to ich. Don't know if that was the cause but I don't want to take that chance again. Would it be better to do a water change every few days and blast out the rocks until most of it is gone instead of trying to get it all at one time and risk my fishes health.

Attachments

• 20140825_192913.jpg
    20140825_192913.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Green rock.jpg
    Green rock.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 124
How often do you feed? What are the water parameters? Instead of blowing the detritus of the rocks next time you do a water change siphon it off the rocks using some small airline tubing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do use small tubing to get some off the rocks but I have so many little spots I can't get to. All my water parameters are good...ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, all zero...cal..420...alk..10.8...mag...1250...salinity 1.025..feed every other day

Blasting the rock shouldn't harm your fish, I do it at lease twice aweek at min and my fish just hide till clears up. Plus sucking it up won't get it all if in the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom