Green algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicholashendrie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
image-4082917910.jpg

I am having a problem wit this green algae! I hav done regular water changes and bought some products but my phosphate level is still high ! Is there any other way to get rid of this stuff !!! Pls help !! Thanks

I use RO water ... I did a 70 liter water change today ... Hopefully this will start to help .

RO water has a lower TDS reading than tap, but still obviously higher than RODI b/c RO/DI should have 0 TDS. The hair algae feeds off of phosphates, which come from the water. You are basically feeding it by w/ the excess nutrients from the water...

Ya i spoke to the people at the shop and he said that i must try and get my phosphate level down and also bring my alk level up !!

Alk has nothing to do with algae (that I know of).... but, yeah, you need RODI water, not just RO. An RO unit removes 95%-98% of impurities, the DI resin removes the rest.....but all algae needs to get going is 0.04ppm phosphates.

Well i no the alk level doesnt hav anything to do wit it but the guy said my level is low and need to het it up ... Ya my phosphate level is i think at .16 so very high !! So u guys think regular water changes ... Any product i can get that will help also ??

Do you have fish, if so, how often are you feeding them? Are you rinsing the food?

Have you tested the water that you are using to do your water changes?

And what is your actual alk level & what kind of corals do you have? The local store could be telling you this to sell additional items.

You can run a GFO reactor to reduce your phosphates, but that's not taking care of the root problem of where your phosphates are coming from, which is what you really need to concentrate on.

I was reading that link and i see that we must do a weekly water change . I did a 70 liter one this week . Should i do a 20 liter water change this weekend ?? Or how much should i change ??

Back
Top Bottom