green algae problem+newbie=frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhowe1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Like I said I am a newbie at this, but I am having a couple problems with my tank.
1. there is green algae growing on the live rocks and live sand, even the poor crabs have it on there shells. The algae is hanging off or stringy, but everything looks dull now the purple is starting to get covered.
2. I tested my water and the nitrite is at .2, is that an ok range? If not, what should it be and how to get it there.

Ty for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated!
test:
ammonia 0
p.h 7.8- added buffer after tested
nitrite .2
nitrate 0
calcium 400

oh, forgot! My tank has been running for a year. My white lights have been off for awhile..and have the blueish lights on for most the day and then the led night lights on at night.

white light=0 hrs
blue light =14 hrs
led =10 hrs

Last edited:
Hi all,
Like I said I am a newbie at this, but I am having a couple problems with my tank.
1. there is green algae growing on the live rocks and live sand, even the poor crabs have it on there shells. The algae is hanging off or stringy, but everything looks dull now the purple is starting to get covered.
2. I tested my water and the nitrite is at .2, is that an ok range? If not, what should it be and how to get it there.

Ty for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated!
test:
ammonia 0
p.h 7.8- added buffer after tested
nitrite .2
nitrate 0
calcium 400

Your tank is getting a cycle if you are seeing nitrites. the reason your nitrate is at 0 is cause all the algae. has anything died in you tank? The light cycle seems a little long. does your tank see any direct sunlight if it does that could be a problem.
what is your salinity? you need to get that Ph up ALOT those are close to brackish numbers

No nothing had died in my tank, but I just added a coral and a condy today, im not sure if that has anythng to do with it. Ya, I added some ph buffer about 3 hours ago until I can figure out what is causing it (im guessing Im over feeding?). No direct sunlight. My alkalinity is3 meq/l. Hydrometer says 28 ppl

Last edited:
actually 7.8 is low end good and I would not try to raise it to fast. and yes, you are going through a mini cycle. To have nitrite you first must have an ammonia spike. Has anything died in your tank? Are you over feeding?

Remember that it didnt happen overnite and it wont go away overnite either. Work on some of those in that check list and everytime you do a PWC try to siphon out as much of the nuisance algea as you can.

Back
Top Bottom