Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2003, 02:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green algea attack...Help!

I recently got new lights for my tank. Im sure that is why im having an algea bloom, 6.5 watts per gallon, PC...but is there anything out there that can help? Im getting all these little clear bubbles attaching to the live rock and then the bubbles are becoming covered in green hair algea! It is also just growing at random without the little bubbles...strange or not??

I use distilled water and RO when available...I have some blue hermits and some snails... anything else i can do to cut all this green hair out??

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Old 12-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The same thing happened to me when I changed my lights to PC. I have been searching for the answer since July. I built a refugium, but it is stilll to young to be of much use. (macro algaes are hard to come by in my neck of the woods).

I am thinking of going all Actinic. I hope you get some answers that may help me too. Sorry i couldn't help.

Howard

Old 12-16-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
steve-s

When dramaticly changing the light set up and increasing the intensity, you need to slowly acclimate the tank to the higher intensity. The algae bloom is a response to the sudden change. If you have no corals (?) or other light demanding animals it will be easy enough to reduce the photoperiod greatly and allow these algaes to die back. Then slowly increase the time about ¬Ĺ an hour every few days...

What's currently in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-18-2003, 02:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had this problem also
So I did a water change and scrubbed as much of the algae Off of the lr and glass as I could then I bought a Lawnmower Blenny and my tank looks like new money. Recommending the lawnmower Blenny HIGHLY
I love mine
Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Platinum
Picture of my lawnmwer blenny, they work really well.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a lawnmower blenny, a coral beauty and a yellow tang, and, although they are always grazing, they don't even make a dent in my algae.
I have about a dozen corals most requiring light. I tried to slowly acclamate my tank when I added the new lights. I only let them run for about 3 hrs a day for a couple of weeks and slowly started increasing. It didn't seem to matter. I now run them for 3 hrs twice a day and just live with scraping algae on a daily basis.

Howard
Old 12-18-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should not have to almost eliminate the photoperiod to combat the algae, something is wrong.

How old is the tank? What size is the tank? What do you use for source water? How often do you do water changes? Do you use a skimmer? Overfeeding? Do you have a "cleanup crew" of snails and/or other herbivores to help with the duties?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answer lies in there somewhere....there is no need for all that grief!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is what fenner said about the same issue "the hair algae at large is due to excess ind/or inadequate water flow. Has the skimmer been working well? Are you straining the solids away from thawed frozen foods and discarding the pack juice? (not adding fozen cubes into the aquarium?). Else - rocket fuel for algae!>
Old 12-19-2003, 07:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have a 55g reef,75+ lbs LR, 3" DSB,udal backfilter, Jebo 150 hang-on skimmer (running 24\7),3 PH, 10g refugium w\4"DSB, and only use RO water. I have about 20 hermies and 20 various snails. I feed fake and chunks of raw seafood, nothing prepared, every other day. All my water parameters are perfect.

PH... 8.2 - 8.6
am...0.0
trite..0.0
trate...0.0
sal. ..023
po4...0.0
sil...0.0
temp...80
cal....450

I hate micro algaes

Any ideas anyone?

Howard

Tags
algea, attack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com