Green Algee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdillon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have the green hair like algee growing all over my live rock. I have tried snails and hermits. NOTHING. New PC bulbs. NOTHING. Complete darkness for days. NOTHING. This is happening in my 20G tank with PowerHead, Penguin 330 and a Skilter 250. Quality is good. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this mess?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

The primary fuel source for hair algae is PO4 and nitrogens/nutrient. The age of a tank can often come into play as well. RO water alone will not help with phosphates as it cannot remove them from the source water, only a DI resin can do that. Most source water will contain at least some type of PO4, generally organic.

The more common itroduction of PO4 though is through foods. Flake and freeze dried foods being the most common source. I would suggest posting some more detailed info about your tank other than what you have above. NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4 and pH. Alk and Ca if you have those as well?

What fish you have as well as what foods are fed and frequencey of feedings?

The best way to combat hair algae is to limit the source nutrients fueling it. You will also need to manualy remove the algae by hand. Easiest means being pulling it out and siphoning it during water changes. A large addition of lefthanded hermits will also help but it is very important the algae itself be pruned as short as possible first. Most all inverts that would normally consume smaller macro algaes will generally ignore large masses of out of control algae. Once pruned and kept short, they will eventually help keep it there. It's just going to take time and patience.

Limit the introduction of new nutrient, "dilute" the exhisting nutrient with proper RO/DI water and be vigilant about manual control.

Cheers
Steve

I had the same problem with algae a few weeks ago. I talked to my LFS and if you want to use a chemical method try, http://www.algone.com/algae_control.htm, or something similar. However, they did warn me that if you have stuff in your aquarium that needs trace elements, mainly phosphate this is not the way. Otherwise, this stuff worked wonders for me for clearing up my algae!

Matt

Why use chemicals when you can do exactly what Steve said. Today you might get away with it and tomorrow you might get away with it but sooner or later something unexplainable might happen that can be traced back to all these chemicals that we add. I know we have to add supplements but I always add less than what they call for. But as far as removing algea why add something that masks the problem instead of just slow down on the feedings. Its so much cheaper for us and healthier for them.

Back
Top Bottom