Green Bird Wrasse Sleeping Habits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyB

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a small Green Bird Wrasse and was wondering if anyone has seen any weird sleeping behavior with these fish. The fish has been in the tank for 4 day now and seems to be ok. He is eating well and is very a very active swimmer. The only question I have is at night he seems to go into a trance like sleep were he looks dead. The first night I seen this I thought he had passed so I put my hand in to take him out and he swam off like he was drunk running into sides and LR. So I left him alone for the night and the next day he is acting normal. So im just taking it the fish is a heavy sleeper. Also I read online somewhere that they make some kind of mucous cocoon around their body at night when they sleep but I have never seen this yet. Anyway I just wanted to check if anyone else has had any experience with this fish.

First and foremost, a 55 gal is way too small for this species. It needs something along the lines of an 8 ft tank to do even remotely well long term. Please be sure you make some future plans (soon) to upgrade to it's needs. :wink:

As far as sleeping habits, this species tends to hide in caves, crevaces and the like as apposed to burying itself like it's cousins. If your rock work is more closely confined and no real area's for the wrasse to bed down, I would create a few. Just watch for dead water flow spots in the process. The caves and such will help reduce the wrasses stress overall and increase it's prosperity. They love to dart in and around things (including caves) and are increadibley active.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom