Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If the brown growing in your stand is like a brown dust kind of a thing that is diatoms which means you have excess nutrients in your tank. If that is the case a few extra water changes and increased flow across your sand bed in those spots will help.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is what i figured it was. I tested my top off water and it all contains Nitrates and phosphates so i will need to try and find some cleaner water. I also just made a refugium and used Chaeto as my micro so hopefully this will take care of the levels along with weekly water changes.

The Green Brain seems to be doing fine in my little QT rig. No sign of any diseases and it still has managed to keep its vibrant green. I have kept calcium levels at 450 and am testing everyother day. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for it to regrow a skeleton (if ever) or at least begin to?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I tested my top off water and it all contains Nitrates and phosphates so i will need to try and find some cleaner water.
With a tank that size an RO/DI unit will be well worth the money. You can buy a nice one on ebay for a little over 100$ and it will ensure that you are starting with clean water when you go to mix. I would guess that it will work wonders on getting rid of those diatoms as well as keeping your levels down and your tank happier in general. IMO a good unit is worth its weight in gold.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice i will be defenetly be investing in one asap
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Pat that a RO/DI unit will be a great investment. IMO tap water is not good for a reef.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am also wondering if my live stock may be affecting my nitrate levels. i was reading some other threads and saw that some fish are "messy eaters". Here is a list of my fish

Sailfin Tang
Scopas Tank
Blue Hippo Tang
Yelloweye Tang
Foxface
Tomini Tang
Manderin
Neon Goby
Tomato Clown
Bangaii Cardinal
2x Green Chromis
2x Spotted cardinal

My tank is a 90gal I have a custom sump that also has a section converted into a refugium.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO your bioload is too much. Just the 5 tangs in a 90 is too much let alone the other fish also. I would say that`s affecting your nitrates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

They have been in the tank for about 8 months with no problem. What do you recommend i do?

I was thinking about purchasing a phosban canister or inventing something like it so that i can place some different types of filter media to try and stabilize my phosphate and nitrate levels. Is there any specific types of filter media i should look into. I was thinking about Phosban, Nitrate Sponge, and some carbon.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ammonia and nitrites will usually not take long to show problems in your tank. They are lethal and will work quickly. Nitrates are a different story. Nitrates take a while to blossom into a problem. They will take months and even longer and then all of a sudden the tank crashes and you have all types of problems. I know you said you`ve had them for 8 months but without proper removal techniques or a lesser bioload your tankmates might be living on borrowed time. If you are going to keep the fish then I wouls suggest 25% PWC`s every week. I know in my early days I used a denitrator that helped out alot.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok i will start with a 50 percent water change asap and do 20 to 25% weekly to try and prevent a crash. I also plan on investing in some filter media to further help with the nitrates nitrites and ammonia. I will monitor and ajust water changes accordingly

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com