Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lightbulb Green Brain in trouble!!!

I recently bought a green brain and unfortunately my yellow angel started making a gourmet meal out of it. I took the angel out and gave it to the store for some store credit but im afraid that the brain will not make it. Is there anything i can do to assist him in its recovery? half of his structure is not attached to his skeleton i put him in an area with minimal water flow to prevent further damage but at the same time he is still relativly well lit. I also have put double the dose of live plankton. Is there anything else i can do?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Dont put double the dose of live plankton. This will cause your water parameters to decline. The number one thing you want is pristine water conditions.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

My levels are as follow:
Alk: 130
Nitate: 0-5
Phosphate: 0
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 450
I will be monitoring it closely for the next couple of weeks to make sure they stay at acceptable levels. What do u think the chances are of it not making it?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just dont dose any plankton for a while. I had the same thing happen years ago with two angels destoyed a brain coral and a hammer coral. They like fleshy type corals.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea so i wake up this morning and the fleshy membrain of my brain coral was floating around i am guessing this means it did not make it. Should i go ahead and take the membrane out or leave it in there?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In one of the coral books I have, I read about an instance of a brain coral bailing out of it's skeleton and living... but I think that was a long-shot exception to normal behavior.

Personally, I'd take it out and dispose of it. If you have a QT and are willing to spend the time to try and nurse it back to health, that's always an option - but I'd get it out of the main tank in case it gets a bacterial or brown-jelly infection that could spread to other corals.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Kurt. Nursing it back to health if in fact it has bailed on it's skeleton is a difficult and time consuming process. I went through something similar with my bubble coral. Finally my bubble has started to rebuild it's skeleton but I have to keep it isolated so it doesn't get washed into another coral or turned upside down.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

How would i go about nursing it back to health?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

With my bubble coral I put it in my frag system in a lower flow area and a lower light area of the tank. I surrounded it with smooth rocks to keep the flesh from being torn or damaged and to keep it from being moved about by a snail or the flow. I do frequent large PWCs to my system (frag and main are plumbed together) to maintain excellent water conditions. I also keep a high CA level. Other then those things I haven't done anything to really "nurse" it. I don't know if something similar will work for your brain or not. Good luck with it I hope it makes it!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

It seems to be doing ok unfortunately i do not have a QT or Frag tank so i have been forced to rig something that will hopefully help. Let me noe what you think.

My water is a little cloudy because for some reason i keep getting massive amounts of brown debris on the my sand and rocks. i have tested the water and the levels are pristene but i cant seem to get rid of the debris. My filtration system is running perfect and i have two power heads in the tank. I plan to do a water change tommorow morning the tank is a 90gal so i will do about a 15-20 gal water change. If you recognize this problem and have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240[1].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	16608  

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com