Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

green brittle star

I heard that this type of star is not good for a reef tank. I do have one for about 2 months and have not seen anything wrong with it.....well he is kind of greedy when it comes to eating. He is big one too(for my tank). his body is about 2" and his legs are about 6-61/2 long. Should I start to worry

Old 05-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They can be predatory from what I understand. Before my 6" brittle was moved to the 20, then promptly attacked, dismembered and eaten by the giant quarantined mithrax crab, he would turn himself into a ball at night and make a "cave" out of himself.

This behaviour means he is pretending to be a cave in hopes that a fish will swim under him. 8O

I dunno I could be all wet but I saw it doing the cave thing. I guess I will never know... LOL

Old 05-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had one eat a cleaner shrimp and a Randall's goby...he's in qt now. IMO, get rid of it while your ahead.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had one for almost a year now in a reef (softies only). He is, as you say, greedy. He's real fun to feed (which you need to do regularly to avoid predatory behaviour - maybe?) - I feed mine once a week with a large chunk of some fish or shellfish out of the freezer (leave shrimp shells, bones etc. on). I found the best way to feed him is to offer the food skewered on a large wooden skewer and "agitate" it around his tentacles - he then assumes it's a fish in trouble and exercises his predatory tendencies - works really well and keeps my cleaner shrimp from grabbing the food! He's a great clean-up agent, fun to watch, very active and will quickly clear up any critter that does happen to meet it's maker. I think mine was responsible for the deaths of a couple of very small peppermints that I lost but nothing else (healthy) would be slow or small enough for him to catch. All in all, a useful member of my tank.
Just my 2c worth, others may have different experiences.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

now that you mention it, i am missing one of my peppermint shrimp too. I will keep an eye on him .....he better behave or else.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I've had mine about a year and have not noticed anything dead/missing. He is getting very large thought so I think it's time for him to go....not that I think of it my coral beauty was really scratched up last week...maybe it was him that did it?

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com