Green bubble tip anemone not doing so well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405940458.357763.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405940458.357763.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 177
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405940491.210424.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405940491.210424.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 146
View attachment 243858View attachment 243859
I bought a BTA about a month and a half ago, it was doing well for about a month, had a black percual hosted to it and everything and within 3 days it looked like my second picture. It's been like that for about 20 days. The foot is firmly attached so there's no moving it and I quarantined the clown so it wouldn't stress out the anemone any more but idk what to do. It gets enough light I have t5 lighting that I run 8 hours a day. 75 gallon tank,My water perimeters seem good
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 450
Alk: 4 drops
Iv had the tank for about 2 years, had fish only for a long time and made it to keeping corals, I have a few hard corals, a finger leather, and Xenia. The only one giving me problems is the bubble tip. Fish are, yellow and blue tang, watchmen goby, a clown, fuzzy lion. Any advice or help will be much appreciated thanks !

No sorry my mistake they are 10000K

Not the kelvin rating, the actual wattage of the light. Also what test kit are you using for alkalinity?

216 W and one from Petco but I took a water sample to my LFS and it was the same reading

We need to know what type lighting and how old the tank is. Anenomes need a mature tank of at least a year old IMO and experience. They also need a high intensity light.

The tank is 2 years old and has been reef ready for about 6 months and I got new lights a month before getting the anemone.

Do you know what test kit the petco used? 4 drops could equal 4 dKh which is extremely low. Do any of your other corals look bad?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405947700.413215.jpg

Idk exactly, but this is the bottle and no all other corals are doing fine

T5 odyssey
Supports 4x 54W T5 High Output lamps
Supports 4x Bluemoon LED
Quick disconnect electronic ballast built-in
Digital timer built-in
Cooling fans built-in
Single power cord for all functions
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Reflector
Acrylic splash guard
CE Certified

Odyssea

When was the last time you replaced the bulbs and how deep is the tank? 4 bulb unit isn't usually enough in a deeper tank IMHO, 6-8 bulb units are better for nems

Well unfortunately, that lighting just isn't enough to support an anemone. I usually suggest 6 bulb t5ho as a start.
But I am also interested in how the anemone was acclimated to the tank. If not properly acclimated it can take them quite some time to adjust to the system and stay hidden away as they adjust. This is to include acclimation to both water and lighting.

I can't afford more lights right now lol but I'll see if it makes it with juts the 4 bulbs, and as for acclimation, I did a drip system. It was perfectly healthy for about 3 weeks before it started acting like this. And idk about lights it seems the most open at night and the moment the lights come on it shrinks to half that size. I know it could possibly be bigger at night because it trying to expand its surface area for light, but it jus seems a little strange

Bulbs are 2 months old, and the tank depth is 48 x 18

I can't afford more lights right now lol but I'll see if it makes it with juts the 4 bulbs,

This is not being a responsible reefer, we must do research BEFORE we buy something not its what I have maybe it will live and maybe it won't attitude. With that said, the nem was partially bleached when you got it, which means it went healthy and that it will take pristine water, lighting and flow conditions for it to have a chance. It color should be a very dark green with red highlights.

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407536477.549592.jpg
Nem is recovering slowly but much better than before. Will be upgrading lights within a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom