Green Bubble Tip Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have had dead fish, ick issues ect., all in 4 months, so your tank is not stable, you should wait at least a year before trying a nem, when you can go 6 months without any issues then you are ready, plus like I said at 18 inches from T5's in my opinion you do not have the proper lighting, my nems were under 500 watts of mh 3 inches away to give you an idea of what they need, now the are 7 inches under 320 watts of high end led's at a 100%, others may have other opinions and Im sure probably know much more than me but I responded based on my experiences, like I said good luck, happy reefing

Everyone is able to post their opinion. As the OP its up to you what you accept and what you don't. But please don't get on folks if it does not agree with you. I think you have got some pretty good advice here.

Sorry had to say something about the cleaner shrimp. I had what I thought were peppermint shrimp. They turned out to hump back shrimp. They activated my rose tip to the point he almost died. Put him in another tank without the shrimp and he is doing awesome now. The shrimp also went back to the lfs.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wasn't upset or anything. I just didn't understand & am very happy with you alls opinion! I will try to maybe move the lights somehow so they are closer & begin regular feedings every 2-3 days. He really enjoys the feeding! Thank you so much with the information!

Well good luck with your anemone. I really enjoy mine, but not as much as my tomato clown. You gotta see when a clown host a anemone, it's just awesome.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you as a noobie as well that there is nothing stable about a four month old tank. If your having fish die something isn't right. Also like folks said nems should be in a tank at least a year stable. Noobs much like you and me think everything is fine and stable when nothing is dying lol. The blam dead fish, ich etc. No need to rush. These guys hear are freakin pros. lol they know more than the tards that work in these stores. I have a tank much like yours and after a crash and losing all my fish and inverts am taking it slow like people said and ramping up my equipment before I get more stuff. Now I have three fish down from like 8-9. Gonna stop at 5 maybe 6 tops. People here just want you to be successful, enjoy the hobby with out doing that at the cost of killing animals.

I can tell you as a noobie as well that there is nothing stable about a four month old tank. If your having fish die something isn't right. Also like folks said nems should be in a tank at least a year stable. Noobs much like you and me think everything is fine and stable when nothing is dying lol. The blam dead fish, ich etc. No need to rush. These guys hear are freakin pros. lol they know more than the tards that work in these stores. I have a tank much like yours and after a crash and losing all my fish and inverts am taking it slow like people said and ramping up my equipment before I get more stuff. Now I have three fish down from like 8-9. Gonna stop at 5 maybe 6 tops. People here just want you to be successful, enjoy the hobby with out doing that at the cost of killing animals.

+1, post like this keeps me wanting to keep helping, we all have been there and done that, experience in this hobby is usually gained by learning by our mistakes, even though experienced reefers tell us different, we all start out knowing more than them, lol

This post caught my eye and it's like de je vu.

My nems also bleached after I went on 2wks o'seas holidays and I lost my green mandarin ( shouldn't have had him either -LFS- but my target mandarin is still looking good ) and lost a few corals later on. High nitrates were my problem after the holiday and I sold a number of fish after listening to advice on this forum.

They are great on here! Thank you experts : ) I am learning and growing...

The LFS told me after 6 weeks of cycling my new sw that I could have nems and I bought 2...they did fine for 5 months as did my corals so I thought it was a breeze- what was the fuss? My water parameters were great..then the ich, nudibranches, sump issues, crabs, giant bristle worms etc.

I understand your frustration as sometimes it appears there are no clear answers- much of case by case/ trial and error and various advice from experienced members. My issue was water quality- I hope that's the reason? One of my nems has gone further downhill after I upgraded my lights to 4 x 24watt T5s ( 167 litre tank) to "help them". He is in recluse at the back of the tank behind rocks and stretches his trunk to reach out to light and has withered so I think it's the light which has stressed him out? They will definitely move if they don't like something.

To top it off, the LFS I went to today told me to put another 1 or 2 nems of the same species in the tank so they can share the zooxanthellae???? I walked away totally confused along with other advice they gave ( adding more nems adds to the bio load and nitrates which got me in this trouble ).

Anyway. Just saying it can be daunting and take on board all the advice you are given and read other posts to learn when you get the time.

I will watch this post to see how you go with your nems and any advice which I may be able to learn from..

Good luck as I need answers to mine too.:)

"so they can share the zooxanthellae", lol now thats a first, remember your LFS is there to sell you anything and everything they can. Outside of feeding an established reef tank should be fine for 2 weeks unless there is a equipment failure. You will get algae buildup on the glass but outside of that they should be fine. After a year or two your tank will get stable and established and outside of water changes, it becomes much less work and much more enjoyment. To be honest I probably only check parameters maybe once a month outside of salinity when doing water changes. (warning do not try this at home) I run a lightly stocked tank, feed every other day and dose nothing, reefers tend to get caught up in dosing all kinds of supplements, buffers ect., trying to make a super reef, when regular water changes is all you need. Happy reefing

"so they can share the zooxanthellae", lol now thats a first,

I know ..right??? I was like "what the"? I wasn't adding more stock to my 167L after working at my nitrates!

It's so confusing as a newbie. I had a cichlid- silver dollar with bloat. Googled..QTd it. Tried dried peas etc. Little local Asian LFS said to pierce it with a needle and press the air out. Barbaric. Made sense to hubby who fishes so he did it after sterilising the needle. It healed perfectly and still kicking 12mths later. Won't read about that on a forum hahhahha

YEs it can be confusing, but a lot of people come here looking for black and white answers but there are none because everyone tank, inhabitants, equipment and situations are different, the forums are a great place to start but if you want to be a successful reefer, then you are going have to do your own homework. Congrates on the fish surgery, lol

My salt reading in my tank with all the critters and the anemone is between 1.018 and 1.019. Is that acceptable? Going to do a 5 gal. WC in a 36 gal tank this afternoon. Please advise.

My salt reading in my tank with all the critters and the anemone is between 1.018 and 1.019. Is that acceptable? Going to do a 5 gal. WC in a 36 gal tank this afternoon. Please advise.

Absolute yes, 1.026, how are you measuring, that needs bumped up slowly over 3 wc
with 48 hours apart

Update, Anemone has relocated underneath a rock. Hard to target feed him, I tried but it's difficult to get the baster in place. Any other useful utensils?

Back
Top Bottom