Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green Bubble Tip Question!

Hey you all I have a quick question, will an Anemone move himself from his spot if he is being bleached? I ask because, my Anemone appears to be getting white in color. He chose a high rock because when he was lower, the Cleaner Shrimp would always pester him. I'm curious, will he move himself or should I take action and lower him? The tank has been up for about 4 months, the lighting is a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture. The water parameters are all zero if that helps. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388780084.523143.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	214924 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388780096.005267.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	214925

Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should just leave it there. Moving it will only add stress and it will move again if it is not happy in that spot.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The term bleaching can be deceiving because he is not bleaching because of too much light, in fact it's probably because you don't have enough light. They also can bleach because of poor water quality so run some tests and post them back. Also how big is the tank and how long have you had it?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank has been set up for 4 months. Ammonia-0 Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0 I seriously doubt he isn't receiving enough light, he is on the side of a high rock, maybe 1.5 feet away from the fixture. The bulbs are new and all other corals are doing very well.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. I'm kinda puzzled as to why he isn't happy, I'm assuming the cleaner shrimp! The shrimp is bothering him as we speak.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried nems in my 55g with a 54w 4 bulb t5 and it wasn't enough light. It could be many things, but I suspect new tank and not enough light. Either way don't try and move it, that will cause more harm than good. Do you feed it? How long have you had the nem?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had the Anemone for maybe a little more than a month. I don't really feed the Anemone directly. I just fed the Nem maybe 20 minutes ago, and now he looks like his normal self. He is fully extended and swinging all tentacles. It looks like he really enjoyed the Mysis Shrimp!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The lighting you have, I don't think it is enough to support an anemone... How big is the tank? I tried a 4 bulb to support one when I started and failed in a 36 gallon. I personally believe that in terms of T5HO, 6 bulb is a must. Using high quality bulbs will help with this...but it can become costly.
I personally wouldn't feed your anemone on purpose...it can be stressful on the anemone if the food is too big. Increasing your lighting will provide success with an anemone, since it can take a lengthy time for them to bleach out.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I paid nearly 100$ for the 4 bulbs, they are high quality ATI's and I'm nearly certain it's enough light. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the fact I left on vacation for 10 days. The individual monitoring my tank didn't do a very good job, I lost all my fish.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, you are correct that those are good bulbs and can assist with the matter...and losing all the fish in the tank would change the situation totally. Was the tank overfed to the point of nitrate/phosphate spike? You are correct it isn't a light issue with this info.
What are the current parameters? Have you done anything to correct what killed your fish, like a large water change?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubble tip, green, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com