GREEN "BUBBLES" GROWING ON MY SNAILS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica3096

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm not sure if I am in the right "chat" area, but I have a question about my snails. I have a 150 gal saltwater tank. Right now I have just 2 fish in it and some live rock and also what the lfs called "lace rock" in it. I am slowly getting it put together. I bought some turbo snails and 12 other snails (they're smaller and used to be white when I first got them) a while back and out of the blue, these green bubbles started growing on their shells. It's not on all of the snails, so I don't think it's the water. Some of the snails now are COMPLETELY covered in the bubbles and almost look like a small bubbly green plant from a distance. lol Since it's not all of the snails that have them, I didn't know if they were eggs?? And I don't think any bubbles are on the turbo snails, but they seem to like to get in the rock, so I rarely ever see them. Any ideas???

Yes! But it isn't on all of the snails. That's why I was curious. It's called bubble algae? What should I do?

If you pop them it can spread spores that will turn into more and you can worsen the problem.

Tomd said:
If you pop them it can spread spores that will turn into more and you can worsen the problem.
I difinitely agree!

Jessica3096 said:
Why is bubble algae so bad for the tank?

It's not bad for the tank, it just another type of harmless algae. But...it has the potential to grow out of control if you pop the bubbles. I have it evergrowing in my tank, I just prune it back every month or so. You don't have anything to worry about.

I just posted a topic on what I think may be a starfish. I just bought some live rock and it came on it. It's black with long tentacles hid in a deep crevice in a piece of rock. The tentacles look like they have spikes all over them. I counted at least 4 tentacles and they look like they could be at least 2-3 inches long. Any ideas?

Jessica,
A few of us responded to that and I moved it to the ID section (about the serpent star).

Back
Top Bottom