Green Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Has anyone had any bad experiences with green Chromis's been aggressive?

I have 3, 2 large and 1 small all have been residence for over 6 months but it seems that new stock I put in are getting a rough ride and I have noticed a lot of fast swimming and flashing when I introduce a new fish. Is it time to get rid of theses guys as they have become to own the tank.

I also have,

Marroon Clown. (very placid despite common theories)
Algae blenny

Thanks

Andi

I have never known chromis to be aggresive. I just added 5 to my 75 gallon reef and they are getting along great so far. Maybe just give them some time to adapt, I think they will be fine. All fish need to test the newcomers.

Yes, I had one in a 50 gallon for about 9 months. All of a suddent he started attacking the angle fish I had in the tank. They were all added around the same time he just became teritorial. I decided rather than losing 2 nice big angle fish I'd remove the chromis and now they're healed up and the tank is back to peaceful.

The chromis became so agressive he'd attack from above. My japanese swallowtail started swimming on her side so she could see if he was above her.

I'm against chromis as much as damsels... My dominant male started picking off the smallest in the school once he was full grown and even nipped at my clove polyps very aggressively. The rest weren't bad but the alpha male was very aggressive

I'm so glad you guys have responded. Everyone I ask think I'm mad.

It apears that the Chromis are a distant cousin of the Damsel so I think it is time that they went!!

I've lost some new fish recently but never thought it could have been them

AndiH011 said:
I'm so glad you guys have responded. Everyone I ask think I'm mad.

It apears that the Chromis are a distant cousin of the Damsel so I think it is time that they went!!

I've lost some new fish recently but never thought it could have been them

I know how you feel everytime I warn them I always get noooo not chromis your thinking of damsels haha

My Chromis was a bad apple. Maybe because I picked the biggest in the tank from the store? I don' t know but he sure turned mean...

I don't know wether to get rid of all three or just get the main one out. It's going to be hard enough anyway lol

The way I looked at it is if I just got rid of my big one then the sub dominant would just take his place so I fished em all out over 2 weeks lol

spoonman said:
Now you got me scared! Maybe with 5 the aggresion will be spread out? Hope so!

That's what I thought so I bought all 5 at my lps lol

spoonman said:
Now you got me scared! Maybe with 5 the aggresion will be spread out? Hope so!

Unfortunately, probably not. They will steadily pick off the weakest link.
I bought a school of 11, years ago, and their numbers continuously dwindled. They would harass one member, till he passed, and move on to the next. The last surviving Chromis died last year, and will be the last Damsel to ever see my tank. I'll go with some Anthias, for a nice open water swimmer!
Less aggressive or not, Chromis are still a Damsel at heart.

No I have 4 anthias in my tank and are not aggressive at all only if you get two males will they fight to the death for who will be the alpha male and if you get lucky and get all females then one will transform in to a male at take the alpha males place. That can be bad though to because if you buy one male some times one of the females will still transform and now you get another dead and that sucks when they go for 30 $ but no aggression to other fish.

Funny but true, my clown fish laid eggs 6 days ago, come home from work today and my chromies, 3 of them which I've had for several years , keep trying to attack the clownfish where there fry is. I think it's time to go

They have all gotta go lol. Good call with the anthias they are lovely specially the square spot great colours.

Has anyone got any good tips on getting fish out without having to destroy your aqua scape? I'm thinking food and a net tho it may take a while lol

Yah get them interested with food and then get them with the net.

When I had to remove 2 Seargant Major Damsels from my old 135, I plugged as many of the caves that I could with various kitchen utensils ( wife loved that), added some food, and went after em'! Messing with the hideouts threw them off enough. Still took hours, but eventually I got em.

I ended up buying one of the xlrg 14" nets and would leave it just sit in my tank and when a fish would be in a corner sneak up and snag em lol took 12 days to get 5 chromis out of.my 46 gallon bowfront

There's no escaping this one lol :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120730_192347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120730_192347.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom