Green Chromis Picking on Green Clown Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone. I have a 29g with 40+ lbs lr and the tank is doing great aside of a green hair algae issue. (now using RO/DI)

I have had a little green chromis about just shy of an inch for about 4 or 5 weeks... my husband bought him just after my cycle completes.

2 weeks ago I bought a awesome little Green clown goby! He is great!

But I noticed him becoming much more shy and hiding a lot. The only other thing I have in this tank besides a clean up crew is a small pep. shrimp.

After watching during feeding time yesterday I noticed the chromis running the goby back behind the rocks... every time he came out for food, again, he would chase him back again.

So I will remove the chromis tomorrow, as I don't have a sump, return him the the LFS.

Will the Goby come out more once the bully is gone? Do I need to do anything like move rock etc... to encourage him being more public?

Thanks,
Kimberly

I would take back the chromis because they can be bullies to smaller fish. I know i had 3 of them and 2 of the 3 would pick on the smallest one relentlessly. They are a type of damsel, which are known to be aggressive, so i would say yes take it back.

Chromis are generally doctile? The clown goby is not really a active fish and tends to hang out in rock etc. No need to do anything. If the chromis was the reason it hid he will come out on its on.

Most chromis are the mild mannered but they are still just damsels as mentioned. Same as clowns. It's not so uncommon to get a bad egg.

I've heard chromis is very peaceful. Even tho they are a type of damsel, they are consider one of the only peaceful damsels there are. I have a 1.5 in. green chromis. The first day i added him, my clowns, who are about 1 in. in size, chased him around :roll: Your goby is probly TOO shy so the chromis sees the oportunity of picking on anyone it could lol

Yes, I was shocked really... I have had Green Chromis in all of my tanks in the past and they got along with everyone... soooo I don't know.... I'm going to chalk it up as the "Bad Egg" theory I think.

Gives me more room to add those 1-2 last fish I guess.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom