Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The problem actually was out of control before I used their water. Before I used their water, even with the issue at hand, I had some star polups that were not opening and now even with the green water they have opened completely up and are beautiful. Today I actually purchased a aquatop 400uv canister filter and due to the "issue" at hand I currently have three canister filters running with a hob filter for a total of about 1300 gah. How long should the uv sterilizer take for me to visibly be able to tell it is working? After a sixty gallon water change I did a full dose of Chemi Clean and shut down my protein skimmer, removed all the carbon andcut my lights back to 8 hours a day. I have to 150 metal halides and a dual 48 glo t5 ho fixture. Please let me know if there is anything in your opinion I could try or change. I am going this morning to purchase all new filter media so what would you suggest?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #12

Thank all of you for your time I greatly appreciate it!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The UV sterilizer would probably clear that up in 3 days, depending on the unit.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocallen View Post
The problem actually was out of control before I used their water.
Well that may be true, but the problem still has to be a water issue. Algae cannot bloom like that without sufficient available nutrients. Those nutrients are coming from somewhere, either your water or something your putting in your water.

A UV will 'help' the problem but alone it wont fix it.

This is probably the worst bloom ive seen and mosy blooms die out in a few days, the fact this is constant screams water issue.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocallen View Post
The parameters are perfect they are coming from the beast lfs in the area, straight from their coral pool.
Are you testing your parameters or is the LFS? You say they are perfect, but what are they exactly? I can't imagine that your water looks like that with zero nitrates or phos. I'm not understanding how your readings are coming from their "coral pool". The water being tested should be the water in your tank. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

You mention running three canister filters, but I did not see an answer for how often you are cleaning them. Those are infamous for collecting waste if not cleaned almost weekly. Waste equals nitrates. Nitrates help feed algae.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

+4 or +5 on a UV unit, don't go cheap on one though.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #17

It has been one full day with the new canister filter with the uv sterilizer and all I can say is wow!!! One hell of a difference. I will post another picture tomorrow when my lights turn on. I want to see if you guys all think the same. When all is said and done do you guys have any suggestions on what type of filter media I should use and with this filter I have three compartments, what order they should go in if any. Thanks alot everyone I am glad to be on the right road and obviously I joined the right forum.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like chemipure elite in my canister.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Carbon is also good to keep in a canister. Whatever you keep in it, make sure you clean it out regularly.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #20

This is my tank today. Obviously something is going good, hopefully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130112_110657.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	143649

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com