Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green Cloudy Water!!!

I have a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium that has recently started having serious issues with a dark green milky colored water. I have been doing water changes, due to a very trusted lfs advice, obsessively for a week and it is not letting up at all. Today out of 75 gallons I did a 60 gallon water change and treated with Chemi Clean and a few hours later right back to square one! My tank has been up and going now for almost 9 months, I have a Yellow Eyed Tang, Clarki Clown Fish, and a Pajama Cardinal Fish. I also have a good amount of expensive mushrooms and coral. I have a Rena Filstar x2 canister filter an Aquatop hob filter for a 60 gallon tank and a hob Marineland Protein skimmer. Also a wave maker and numerous pumps for circulation.
Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this I cannot afford to, nor do I have the time to change 40 to 60 gallons of water a day. Someone please help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130110_011311.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	143113

Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, I have never seen anything like it. Was the pic taken after the water change? I take it your params are good, What are you testing? Results would help solve the mystery...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The parameters are perfect they are coming from the beast lfs in the area, straight from their coral pool. The picture was about 8 hours after the sixty gallon water change.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to do massive mater changes first. And your sure all parameters are fine? No phosphates etc? What's your feeding schedule like and your water change? How often?

Do you run a UV?

What is your lighting schedule like? What kind if lights are they?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow that's an algae bloom and a half lol
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where are you getting your water and is it 0 TDS ro/di?

Also despite your test readings you can assume their are nitrates and phosphates in the water considering algae need them to grow.

If you have or have access to a UV sterilizer that would be a good thing to be running right now.

If you get your water premixed from the fishstore then you need to stop. Atleast until you can verify they are using 0TDS ro/di. There are other things i the water that can cause these problems.

Have you dont anything besides water changes?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

1+ on the uv get one over rated for yur tank and it will clear it up ..You are getting nutrients from one where also what type of filter do you have and how much flow does yur tank get ?,
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correction from some where sorry darn phone...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

when was the last time u took appart and cleaned the canister filter? and what are u using inside the filter. sometimes they can build up a lot of crap and casue issues. i would suggest doing a total black out for a day or 2. should kill off most of the algea. corals should recoup from it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
+2 on the UV sterilizer.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com