green clown goby died, tank questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i was noticed my green clown goby has been hiding since ive bought him so today i decided to check to see if he was alive ot not. well turns on he died :( my question is why? he was perfectly fine when i bought him and for the 1st couple days. i was feeding a small amount of brine but im not sure if he ate it as hed run away then swarm it but not eat any when i was looking.

my salt is at .024

p.h. 7.6 is this what caused it?
ammonia is at .50
NI is at 0
NA is at 0 because of my fuge

should i take out the macro so the ammonia can process through?

If your ammonia was at .50 that would be my guess. I'm sure your ammonia spiked alittle before you tested. I'm not too good on ph levels so i'll let the experts take that question.

well reading on the internet says that acceptable range for FO tanks is 7.6-8.4. Thats just reading on the internet. Can you do a quick water change to lower your ammonia levels ??

Ive had this happen with yellow watchmen gobys. They seem to die after a few days and do not eat. My guess is that they were tramatized before WE got them and simply died. They could have been exposed to small levels of ammonia for an extended period of time before, or they could have been collected via unethical measures (cyanide).

Dont feel too bad, the fish was probably doomed from the day it was born. Ive lost TWO (all so far) baby gobys whereas my other fish are strong and well!

Something about gobys maybe?

Matt

so i was noticed my green clown goby has been hiding since ive bought him so today i decided to check to see if he was alive ot not. well turns on he died :( my question is why? he was perfectly fine when i bought him and for the 1st couple days. i was feeding a small amount of brine but im not sure if he ate it as hed run away then swarm it but not eat any when i was looking.

my salt is at .024

p.h. 7.6 is this what caused it?
ammonia is at .50
NI is at 0
NA is at 0 because of my fuge

should i take out the macro so the ammonia can process through?

Ammonia being at .5 is most likely what caused the death. How long has this tank been set up? It seems that it has not finished cycling. PH should be 8.1-8.4

personally I tend to ask the lfs to hold on to any fish for 2 weeks(with a deposit) just in case the fish is in a bad way,that way they can replace it

Two things caused the fish to die. The ammonia being .50 was one of the reasons. This amount is lethal and not good. Need to find out the reason. Also brine shrimp is not very nutritious and didnt give him much to fight the high ammonia. Mysis shrimp would have been better for him. Feeding brine would be compared to us sitting down to supper to a plate of twinkies. If you must feed brine feed vitamin fortified brine.

I believe he said that he thought the ammonia came from the fish decaying in his water, not from an uncycled tank. Maybe he could clarify that, since putting a fish into an uncycled tank WOULD be the cause of death. Otherwise, we need to examine different possibilities. Since he states that ammonia was zero when he tested the next day (after death) I am assuming that he has a cycled tank, and ammonia had nothing to do with death. Although, I am skeptical that a dead fish would cause ammonia to go to 0.5ppm overnight...

Matt

tank has been cycled for over 5 months.. ammonia was caused by death it was 0 the last time i saw him.. and the brine is vitaman enhanced. im waitin on my work to get mysis back in. someone bought every package we had and now we cant get them in something with our suppiler. fish has been at the store for two weeks i saw him go from a 13 day QT.

I see nothing that leads me to believe it is something you did ... Alot of times they are caught with cyanide ...The cyanide causes havoc on their digestion system they eat but can not draw nutrition from the food .... and starve, By the time we get them it is so advanced ...there is nothing you can do for them ... Green clown gobies and all the other ones such as the yellow are often caught with cyanide ... and are a easy fish to care for if you are lucky enough to get one to survive the posioning ... Perhaps take a swing at getting one from live aquaria 2 week guarentee as well as caring for thier stock enough to not allow cycanide caught fish ...
It seems that every one that I had died a painful death when I got them I gave up ..
IF you really like them you can set up a 2.5 gallon QT tank to insure they are fine from capture ... Soak brine in selcon or something similar and add some fresh crushed garlic to trigger the feeding ... Then slowly start to mix mysis with it after you know they are eating ....all my fish were "raised" on brine at the LFS but took to mysis with in a day .... I also do not feed every day either so it is eat or starve :p in my tank ....Your PH is a bit low but not enough so to cause it in my opinion .. Try opening your top and running a fan across it ,opening the windows will also help to raise it up ... The ammonia you say was after the death , just allow it to cycle through and do a water change if you have live stock do try to do some smaller, H20 changes to combat it , also change your filter midia if you are running it .
Good luck finding one of these lil cuties , but rest assured it is probably nothing you did !!

I can't see a 1.5" fish dying and causing that ammonia spike in an established 55g tank in a days time.

Maybe that spike was a false reading and the ammonia was much lower. I have done tests where the first one shows some ammonia and the second and third show zero.

All I know is, I have had all my little gobies die whereas everything else thrives. Tomorrow a new, third, yellow watchman comes. If it dies too, I am done with gobies...

Matt

this was in the 2 gallon nano and it was just a inch long, he was a young one. and my lid is always off thats why i dont know why it stays low. the corals seem to not mind. they are doing better than when i bought them.

Ohhh a 2g tank. That would explain ammonia spike from the goby!

Yea, I am going with something else. The place cancelled my order for who knows what reason. I will head to my LFS tomorrow and find something for my pico tank.

Id try to find something at a LFS that you can see eat.

Matt

lol yeah well it cycled through now my nitrates are not even 5.0 id say maybe 1 ppm lol. my top off will take care of that. and there shipment probbaly died. at my work we had ordered 15 gobies in all and only 8 made it the 3 days.. poor guys :( and ive acutally thought about adding back one baby clown. and when it starts to grow just take it back and get another baby clown or put it in my 58 gallon lol

Back
Top Bottom