Green cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting thing happened in my sump this week. Guess what it broke out in? Green cyano. Stuff straight stunk. The wonders of manual removal and followed by a brand new skimmer.

Mine didn't stink...I think it was the microalgae, not cyano.

I'm going to do my normal 20% PWC today/tomorrow (sick daughter today, so we'll see how much time I have), and will retest everything with my new Hanna and Salifert kits (PO4, NitrAte and Magnesium). I'm 99.999999999% sure everything is in check, so hopefully once I've gotten rid of it, it will stay gone.

I've gone back to the IO Reef Crystals for the time being. I'm keeping the RSCP bucket, and will roll it before I use it again. I don't think it was the salt, and I'm not going to waste the $$ on the bucket and toss it.

I did my pwc today. Pre-change, I had 0 PO4, nitrIte, and ammonia. NitrAte was 2.5. Calcium was 420, alk 11, Mg 1500 ( :-o ). pH is 8.1.

I still have some of this algae growing on the rockwork, but I'm sucking it off during the change.

There's not much more I can do, just let it get it out of it's system, so to speak?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Another check today, still a little on the rock, some in the sand, but no where near as much as a couple of weeks ago. Definitely a lot of progress being made. :)
pH 8.1
Mg 1560
Alk 11
Ca 440
NitrAte 1.0
Phosphate 0.03
NitrIte, Ammonia 0

I think this problem is solved (fingers crossed).

Back
Top Bottom