Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green cyano?

Take a look at this...Is this green cyano? I sucked a bunch off my rock tonight, and tried to get as much out of the sand bed as possible w/o disturbing it too much (about 99% of it was on the rock, just a few isolated spots in the sand). It's a little tough to see, but it's holding down those bubbles on the rockwork. Total area of all the patches was probably around that of a playing card.

Here are the tank readings tonight:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 440
SG: 1.025

It started popping up once I added my new LED lights, which were on for approx 10hrs a day. Today, I cut them to 8hrs, and did an approx 40% water change (even though the parameters were good). The above readings were taken prior to the water change.

FWIW, one of my snails must've gone to the big fish tank in the sky somewhere in the rockwork. I haven't seen it in about 3 weeks, but last week, did 5 20% water changes over the course of 5 days because of that, so that I could get any baddies from his decomposing self out of the water column.

I have a HOB skimmer running, producing moderate skimmate. Tank is stocked w/ 2 clowns, a high-fin goby, pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 2 featherdusters, 1 snail. This is a 20g nano tank.

Any idea what else I could be doing wrong, or what I need to do to get rid of them that I haven't already?

Thanks in advance. I hope I provided all the info needed.

Edit to add: I knew I forgot something. I feed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, alternating between pellets and PE Mysis.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cyano from what I have learned comes from phosphates. You're phosphate level can read 0 because the cyano is a bacteria and it feeds off of the phosphates. If it indeed is cyano. I put a bag of phosguard into my system and cleaned it off and that did the trick. Also, is there good flow to that portion of rock? If not that could be another issue of cyano.

Never seen green cyano. Before, could it also hair algae?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can grab phosguard, just in case, but I had 0 phosphates before they appeared, too. The tank is not in direct sunlight, either.

That area of rock does have good flow, yes. Here is an FTS:

The mystery stuff is appearing on the top of the "bridge" rock. I did move the powerheads the same day as I installed the new lights, so the flow pattern was modified.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, are you using RO/DI water for top offs? Or tap water?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO/DI. Zero TDS on the product water.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well with it being a bacteria it will trick you into seeing your phosphates as 0. But I would clean that stuff off the rock, do a 5 gal water change and throw a bag of phosguard in there
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did a 5 gallon change tonight, and siphoned it off. We'll see what the change in the lighting schedule does, as well.

I can get some phosguard in a day or so.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had battles with cyano for a long time but mine was a flow issue. I tried the chemicals and nothing really worked till I got phosguard
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll tweak the flow, and see if that helps. If not, I'll do phosguard, although since I've always had 0 phosphates, I'm skeptical that's the issue.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You don't have a over feed so don't think that's the issue

Tags
cyano, green

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com