Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will try no Lunars for 3 to 5 days and go to 8 hrs Blues and 6 hours whites and see the difference.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same issue with algae and diatom booms. Diatoms will cycle through by itself. I had a huge algae boom. I had a 12 hr daylight+actinic on at the time with 12 hrs on darkness for my noturnal critters and corals. I reduce light hours from 12 to 8 hrs for two weeks. Than the next week i upped it a extra hour. That help balance my algae. Having a skimmer helps as it removes extra proteins out the water. Basically the skimmer helps with the waste load before it hits your filter. Less maintenance for the filters. I see a start of algae on my glass every 12 days. I have a 30gallon cube

Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and btw lunar lights are for show, accent lighting. I heard its not reccommend to leave them on for so long. Depending on the spectrum level it could stunt coral growth or throw them off balance and stress them. Not 100% sure though
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello everyone, for several weeks this has been much better, might have been diatoms.

Does anyone have these white spots or calcified sperm like deposits on the sides of aquarium?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

If its hard to remove you have some coraline algae. It is signs of a healthy tank. Your live rock will turn purple in time with them as well. Remove it with a stainless steel scraper
Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda619 View Post
If its hard to remove you have some coraline algae. It is signs of a healthy tank. Your live rock will turn purple in time with them as well. Remove it with a stainless steel scraper
Meaning a razor blade? Thanks for the information, glad my tank is assumed to be healthy.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not if you have a acrylic tank, you will scratch it.I tend to use the scraper blades from kent marine. They are made for a tank. I dont trust razor blades as they will rust eventually, and you dont want that floating around.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a single sided razor on my two glass tanks. They will rust pretty quickly though. You will only get a few cleanings before the blade begins to rust as someone has already pointed out.

Tags
algae, green, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com