Green Glassy bubble Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have Green Glassy bubble Algae spread throughout my tank. Is there any way of controlling this?

watch your water parameters, phosphates and nitrates play a big part in their existence.

Other than that, emerald crabs, some urchins, tangs and rabbitfish may eat them.

Manual removal is the only sure fire way, just be careful not to pup the bubbles, spores will spread.

Crikey that's a mystery. Phosphates and nitrates all zero I have 3 tangs and a foxface- wouldn't they pop them when eating them? There's zillions so it's impossibe to scrape them out. I tried o on one rock which I removed from the tank and rinsed after scraping, hey just grew back. Boo hoo!

Just make sure you get rid of them before they spread like crazy. Mine were all over the place at one point.

When doing water changes, I attached a needle on the end of my siphon and then poked the sailor's eyes (algae bubbles) and then put the siphon immediately over the bubble after popped, so all water would go up into the siphon. It worked for me.

Your readings are likely zero or low because the algae is consuming it. So the very existence of the algae (assuming you believe that it needs it to survive and propagate) confirms that you do indeed have them.

I think it might be too late for the needle on the end of the siphon thing because there's thousands, it's a 200 gallon tank. My corals are all quite small so I'm hoping as they spread they'll shade out the green glass algae.
I've got phosguard in one of the sump chambers , Caulerpra in my main sump chamber. I don' feed excessively, so I dunno. My rock is almost all cemented together so I can't take it out.
I took one single rock out, scraped the bubbles of carefully. poured boiling water over what was left, rinsed in different water and put back in the tank. That's the rock that is now the worst.
An othe suggestions?

I know someone who's in about the same situation as you :S Hopefully someone has a solution. What he's planning to do is dry out the entire system and clean it. Let it completely dry and kill everything :eek:

That would work but what do you do with the corals? Even if you chipped them off and put them somewhere else for a while there would be tiny amounts of glass bubble agae there somewhere, I'm sure I got mine off coral frags in the first place. Other than looking a bit of a nuisance, are they that bad?

They are only bad if you consider them bad. Not being a smart aleck, but just pointing out that because folks say they're bad doesn't mean you can't have them in your tank. They do spread like crazy, but there is definitely more obnoxious algae to have!

I have more than my fair share of bubble algae. Yeah... I wish it wasn't there, but I've come to realize that eliminating it 100% is never going to happen either. Every month or so, I go on a cleaning spree with a hard tube on the end of my siphon hose, and scrape as many as I can off my rocks. Yeah... they pop, but if you don't minimize the population you have no chance to decrease their numbers.

I think that article melosu58 linked to is the best article out there on bubble algae.

Back
Top Bottom