Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted peoples views on raising magnesium to kill hair algae ??? Plz help

I've never heard of it affecting hair algae, but there have been reports that jacking the mag levels up using Kent Tech M kills bryopsis. Supposedly it's not the high mag levels that does it, it's some unknown impurity in Tech M that does it.

Need something to help me finish off that hair algae

I had a huge GHA problem. Got my prams right, move lighting to 7 hrs, got a cuc, and now it's gone! Mag thing is from reefcleaners, but warns u about it. Coral beauty picked at it too...

I had a bunch!!! U can see it on my pics. But know, all gone. Took a min..

i bought a bristle tooth tang, took care of it in to time. my emerald crab could not keep up.

There are tons of creatures that eat algae, but maybe you should try to get the amount down without buying new critters. Theres a reason its growing so it;s best to treat the disease rather than the symptoms.

Just my 2 cents. I have algae issues in one of my tanks as well so I added some gfo and have been upping my water changes, and lessening my lighting. I;ve seen some progress so far too. :)

Your critters just recycle the nutrients the algae grows on. You have to remove the nutrients from the water or the algae will just keep cycling. Eventually some of the nutrients will be trapped and used to grow your critters, but not enough to stop the problem. Magnesium levels can affect certain algae, but again, you aren't solving the real problem. More water changes, better skimming, smaller and more often feeding cycles.

agreed, but to answer your question, i have read that not just any mag can be used to take out briopsis. it must be kent tech_M. other magnesium additives didn't work according to a few threads i saw.

mr_X said:
agreed, but to answer your question, i have read that not just any mag can be used to take out briopsis. it must be kent tech_M. other magnesium additives didn't work according to a few threads i saw.

My son used magnesium to wipe out some Cyanobacteria he had blooming. But I have never seen it used on hair algae. Anyone know the chemistry behind this?

Back
Top Bottom