Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-24-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Green hair Algae

My tank (26litre) has long green hair algae which seems to have stem from the live rock i have had from the beginning. It is getting out of control. Is there any way to combat this?
I have 2 clown fish and 2 turbo snails both seem unphased by the growth.
Both snails even have algae growing on their shells. I do a weekly water change and have sufficient lighting but this does not seem to help.

hope you guys can help

gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
hair algae

g'day mate.
nice to see another aussie on this site, Okies, from what i know it is quite good to have hair algae in your tank, from what i have read on this site it is benificial in the aspect that certain types of fish like to browse on it, all you need to do now is find out what types..I think tang's eat a small amount and they will help you keep the population down but best advice i can give you is to read what the gurus on this site tell you or see your local pet store, (hopefully they are a bit smarter than the ones i have here!!)

kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
lawn mower blennies will help. red legged hermits will help (to an extent)if the algea isn't long.

ohio reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found the lawnmover blennies work wonders. thanks heap!
gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
A refugium added to your tank can harvest most of your alges for you and keep the main tank clean. What type of water are you using? If your water qualtiy is bad you will have more alge. As for what you have now you can take a toothbrush or something like that and trim it down so your hermits can graze.
Any home mortgage questions feel free to ask. Thats what I do when I'm not tending to my tank!!
beachbumin is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com