Green hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rugger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have got green hair algae starting to grow is that good or bad? All my parms are right.

How much and how often are you feeding? Most tend to overfeed without knowing it. Algae needs 3 things to grow: 1.) nutrients (nitrates or phosphate) usually from overfeeding 2.) light and 3.) water

Scrub off as much as you can with a toothbrush, syphon it out doing a 25% water change. Replace with nitrate/phosphate free water (check water source to be sure). Reduce lighting time to 8 - 9 hours. Most people only feed a small amount every other day. Trochus snails and turbo snails will help as well.

I have only had the snails ( 100 Nassarius and 50 Periwinkle) in the tank since cycling it. I just added a Ocellaris Clownfish 2 days ago. So the algae started like 2 days before adding the clown to the tank. I will post a pic.

Here some pics

Attachments

• Green Algae 001.jpg
    Green Algae 001.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Green Algae 002.jpg
    Green Algae 002.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Green Algae 003.jpg
    Green Algae 003.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Green Algae 005.jpg
    Green Algae 005.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 94
Are you using RO/DI water?

Hard to tell from my phone, but maybe only green hair algae on one rock and green coralline on the others?

Back
Top Bottom