Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jross1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gal reef tank 2 t5 24 watt 1 18 watt pl bulb I have turbo snails and hermit crabs but nothing seems to b touching this hair algae what fish could I put in my tank that would b happy in a 30 gal I would love a y tang but to small so what else any help would b great

A Pencil urchins will help. But check your phosphates probably high. Are you using RO/DI or tap water?

Purchase a phosphate reactor and I would consider looking at what kind of filtration system you have running below

Last edited by a moderator:
You have excess nutrients in the water if you have hair algae. You might need to cut back on feedings, might need to cut light schedule back too and do extra pwcs. That being said, an algae blenny would help to get it under control.

Thanks for all your feed back I've just brought some carbon reacting granules and some filter bags and I've put them in my filter at the top I hope this it's in a good place didn't know weather to put it in the middle of my filter sponges hopefully it does the trick

How long has the tank been running. Most tanks have to go through a nuisance algae phase at some point. Mine came after 7 months. I went through a red slime algae phase for 4 weeks and then went to green hair algae for another 2 weeks and now that its gone, the coraline algae is starting to flourish.

Yes you could be right it's only been 5 months and I already have beautiful Colours of coralline algae but its being other run by green hair like you said it's just going through the motions

Yes you could be right it's only been 5 months and I already have beautiful Colours of coralline algae but its being other run by green hair like you said it's just going through the motions

Nuesance algae means excess nutrients it cannot survive on light alone it has to have nutrients phosphates or nitrates what kind of filtration do you have??

Back
Top Bottom