Green Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 46g tank has been up for almost 3 months now. I have 45lbs LR and a 4" DSB, waterflow is about 750gph, lighting is 192w CF. I have passed the brown diatom stage and now getting some fluffs of green hair algae growing on the rocks, sand and walls. Is this another algae bloom that will fade in time? or should I be removing it before it gets a foothold. My Astrea's or Hermits are not interested in it. Using DI water and dosing Kalk for topoffs. My water params look good:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0
PH 8.3
Calcium 380
DKH 9

2 Blue Green Chromis
1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Any suggestions? Thanks

If your hermits aren't interested then I would wonder if it really is hair algae or something else like bryopsis.

Atari,

I do believe I have Bryopsis growing on the rocks, along with Catapillar Weed and maybe Calaurpa. I figured I would let that grow until the tank matured and I was ready to add some soft corals. I'm a little confused about what is desirable and what is not. Since I upgraded my lighting to 192w CF from 60w of NO I have seen my Corallines fading and getting covered by some type of low green hair algae. I would like to get things under control if I need to, otherwise I will just wait it out. What do you think?

Darb, Sailfin could be possibility some point in the future.

The fading coralline is most likely a result of increased light. It will need time to adjust and will come back eventually.

Since you have very little nutrient fueling the nuisance algae, I would be tempted to just wait it out and let it crash naturally. It wouldn't hurt to do some manual removal wherever possible though.

Here are some shots to better visualize. I can't seem to get real clear tank pictures with my Canon A20.

Back
Top Bottom