green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G LOWS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Green hair algae

I have green hair algae growing on the sand of my 75g tank. I just started the tank about 2 months ago. All my parameters are fine except my nitrates are a little high (nothing crazy so I don't need to be yelled at from anybody) and yes I run rodi water and I do a %10 water change weekly. I'm thinking about buying a phosphate reactor to help rid my nitrates and phosphates in the tank. Does anybody have any explanations or any other ideas?

Your bio load is more than your maintenance routine can handle. It's pretty simple really, reduce your nutrient import and increase the export.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what do you mean by reduce import and increase export? And no I don't siphon it out because I think my sand is too fine.

I'd suck it right off the sand during your next water change. You're going to suck up sand too but at least you'll get the algae out. Is it just on the sand?

Feed less and do some water changes

Reactors can be a great addition to nitrate/phosphate battles.
I would do large water changes along with manually removing the problem during those water changes. That in tandem with the addition of something like GFO can bring the issue under control. It takes time to get there, but patience will get you where you want to be.
Though you say the nitrates are high, it might be even higher if the amount of hair algae is enough it can be lowering that number. It is common to see false readings on both nitrate and phosphate at times, hence why people get confused as all parameters read 0!
Another part to this battle would be the feeding schedule. If you are feeding corals, I would stop. Liquid coral foods usually don't do much at all and are basically liquid phosphates. This easily breaks the tank out in algae, even I have done it on more than one occasion. This is why I refuse to do it anymore. For feeding your fish, unless you have something with really specific feeding needs, there isn't any reason to be feeding sparingly every other day, or even every three days. I feed my 55 mixed reef tank every 3 days either 1/2 or a full cube of mysis shrimp (rinsed off as the mass produced stuff is packed in what is also basically liquid phosphates) with no ill effects and all happy fish.
For additional reading pleasure, there are articles in our articles section about battling algae. Both of which are in my signature for easy discovery.

THere's is a technique to siphon the sand with a siphon... Put your finger on the end of the tube when sand is going on top of the siphon chamber

I'll start doing larger water changes and manually taking out the algae. what about investing in a protein skimmer? Would this help?

I'll start doing larger water changes and manually taking out the algae. what about investing in a protein skimmer? Would this help?

YES !!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 90g protein skimmer on my 20g, if you could see what's coming out from here.... LOOOTTTT OF GUNK, you'll buy one.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 90g protein skimmer on my 20g, if you could see what's coming out from here.... LOOOTTTT OF GUNK, you'll buy one.

A quality one will be worth it. A cheap one won't do anything. There are always those who'll get the seaclone or coralife ones, just like I did when I started, and have to spend the money on a better one when there aren't any results provided.
I personally like my Eshopps skimmer.

A quality one will be worth it. A cheap one won't do anything. There are always those who'll get the seaclone or coralife ones, just like I did when I started, and have to spend the money on a better one when there aren't any results provided.
I personally like my Eshopps skimmer.

I got a SWC... hmmmm
BOMB hob PS IMO...

Now it's clean, wait 1 week, i'll take a video, you'll understand HAHA

Lower nitrates further, perhaps you have too many fish or over feeding. In addition, cut down the light to near zero if there are no pants or corrals in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could do all the cleaning and filtering upgrades in the world, and hair algae may still persist. You can try a small army of grazers (snails, urchins, sea stars) that will remedy your situation quickly, in addition to the suggestions above ??

You could do all the cleaning and filtering upgrades in the world, and hair algae may still persist. You can try a small army of grazers (snails, urchins, sea stars) that will remedy your situation quickly, in addition to the suggestions above ??
That's not true at all. What makes algae thrive is nutrients and light. Take one or both of these away, and it will die off. You don't need a single snail or starfish to have an algae free tank.

That's not true at all. What makes algae thrive is nutrients and light. Take one or both of these away, and it will die off. You don't need a single snail or starfish to have an algae free tank.

Your lesson on algal growth is elementary, mr_X.

You shouldn't suggest to take away light and/or nutrients, that's unrealistic; decreasing one or both of those parameters is a more reasonable statement, and these adjustments would depend on what light source this person uses, and what feeding regiment is required for their tank inhabitants. And even with light and nutrient adjustments, hair algae (in particular) may persist. As I said. And in this case, a grazing crew does wonders.

I apologize if my original response was unclear. Let's play nice lol

Whatever. Bottom line, there's too much nutrients in the water. More eating, pooping, critters is not going to remove hair algae unless this is addressed. Algae can't live in a low nutrient environment. It most certainly will not persist.

I cut back my lighting by a lot and the algae is still growing but as thick and fast. I purchased an eshoppes skimmer (psk 100) and am going to set it up today. Thanks everyone for the advice and I didn't mean to create a hostile environment! I'll keep in touch

Back
Top Bottom