Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green hair algae

I have green hair algae growing on the sand of my 75g tank. I just started the tank about 2 months ago. All my parameters are fine except my nitrates are a little high (nothing crazy so I don't need to be yelled at from anybody) and yes I run rodi water and I do a %10 water change weekly. I'm thinking about buying a phosphate reactor to help rid my nitrates and phosphates in the tank. Does anybody have any explanations or any other ideas?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your bio load is more than your maintenance routine can handle. It's pretty simple really, reduce your nutrient import and increase the export.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If its on your sand are you sucking it out during water changes?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

what do you mean by reduce import and increase export? And no I don't siphon it out because I think my sand is too fine.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd suck it right off the sand during your next water change. You're going to suck up sand too but at least you'll get the algae out. Is it just on the sand?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Feed less and do some water changes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Reactors can be a great addition to nitrate/phosphate battles.
I would do large water changes along with manually removing the problem during those water changes. That in tandem with the addition of something like GFO can bring the issue under control. It takes time to get there, but patience will get you where you want to be.
Though you say the nitrates are high, it might be even higher if the amount of hair algae is enough it can be lowering that number. It is common to see false readings on both nitrate and phosphate at times, hence why people get confused as all parameters read 0!
Another part to this battle would be the feeding schedule. If you are feeding corals, I would stop. Liquid coral foods usually don't do much at all and are basically liquid phosphates. This easily breaks the tank out in algae, even I have done it on more than one occasion. This is why I refuse to do it anymore. For feeding your fish, unless you have something with really specific feeding needs, there isn't any reason to be feeding sparingly every other day, or even every three days. I feed my 55 mixed reef tank every 3 days either 1/2 or a full cube of mysis shrimp (rinsed off as the mass produced stuff is packed in what is also basically liquid phosphates) with no ill effects and all happy fish.
For additional reading pleasure, there are articles in our articles section about battling algae. Both of which are in my signature for easy discovery.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

THere's is a technique to siphon the sand with a siphon... Put your finger on the end of the tube when sand is going on top of the siphon chamber
Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #9

I'll start doing larger water changes and manually taking out the algae. what about investing in a protein skimmer? Would this help?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G LOWS View Post
I'll start doing larger water changes and manually taking out the algae. what about investing in a protein skimmer? Would this help?
YES !!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 90g protein skimmer on my 20g, if you could see what's coming out from here.... LOOOTTTT OF GUNK, you'll buy one.

Tags
air, algae, green, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com