Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven43hike
I had this problem also, I join this site and took the advice of someone and controled the nutrients and the rest is history it didnt happen overnite but less feeding and water changes with ro/di water did. it in two weeks time.
+1 on nutrient control

Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like the plan. Phosphate is good nitrates were a up a little before my last water change. All other tests were perfect. I have better test kits now so ill be on it. Water quality is everything! I am thinking of dropping if my blue leg hermits and picking up some scarlets. I think there is only 4 left. They killed my red leg hermits too and I have a PILE of shells they can fit. I hear the scarlet reef hermits are a lot less aggressive and I like the look of them. Any comments on the hermits?

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
Sounds like the plan. Phosphate is good nitrates were a up a little before my last water change. All other tests were perfect. I have better test kits now so ill be on it. Water quality is everything! I am thinking of dropping if my blue leg hermits and picking up some scarlets. I think there is only 4 left. They killed my red leg hermits too and I have a PILE of shells they can fit. I hear the scarlet reef hermits are a lot less aggressive and I like the look of them. Any comments on the hermits?
Personally i dont use hermits i do have a few but theyv been in there for years get nutrients under control and youll be good to go do you use chaeto?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea I have a half gallon homemade HOB refugium will a chaeto ball in it. I like the little hermits though. I thought about maybe an emerald crab but they may turn on a coral. I like the little hermits they're good little scavengers. Might just get a couple of the scarlet hermits

Old 08-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yea I have a half gallon homemade HOB refugium will a chaeto ball in it. I like the little hermits though. I thought about maybe an emerald crab but they may turn on a coral. I like the little hermits they're good little scavengers. Might just get a couple of the scarlet hermits
I had an emerald once i witnessed it catching a sleeper goby it didn eat it but destroyed it gills and mouth the goby couldn eat it starved after about 2 weeks the emerald was size of half dollar size of dime when i got it i stay away from crabs myself for cleaners i have serpent star and 25 tongan nassarius snails couple turbos
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I had an emerald once i witnessed it catching a sleeper goby it didn eat it but destroyed it gills and mouth the goby couldn eat it starved after about 2 weeks the emerald was size of half dollar size of dime when i got it i stay away from crabs myself for cleaners i have serpent star and 25 tongan nassarius snails couple turbos
And good waterflow very important
Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not very big but it gas copepods all it. They hop into the tank every now and again. Ill see one slide down.LOL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120804_143142.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	110619

Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Actually been thinking about making a bigger one. A lot longer and ill just remove my HOB filter. I gave a 92 gph submersible pump that I think will do great. Would it be better to have a bigger fuge with more chaeto and LR rubble in it than the little half gallon that I have and a penguin 200 HOB filter with carbon cartridges?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Actually been thinking about making a bigger one. A lot longer and ill just remove my HOB filter. I gave a 92 gph submersible pump that I think will do great. Would it be better to have a bigger fuge with more chaeto and LR rubble in it than the little half gallon that I have and a penguin 200 HOB filter with carbon cartridges?
I have a 10g fuge on my 55g im setting up a 150g that one will have a 30g fuge 24 hour lighting also helps
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I have a 10g fuge on my 55g im setting up a 150g that one will have a 30g fuge 24 hour lighting also helps
You said your phosphates are 0? When you have algae the algae binds up the phosphates which is why youd get a zero reading in the water column

Tags
algae, algae eater, eat, eater, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com