Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

green hair algae eater?

I have green hair algae in my tank and was looking for a good fish to eat it. Its 35 gallon. Needs to be reef safe. Was thinking maybe a court jester goby but don't know if my wrasse will pick ob him. I have a mccoskers flasher wrasse and a ocellaris clown. I also have pep shrimp, cleaner shrimp, all kinds of different snails including Turbo. None of them seem to touch the hair algae. Any ideas for my size tank? Thanks

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
I have green hair algae in my tank and was looking for a good fish to eat it. Its 35 gallon. Needs to be reef safe. Was thinking maybe a court jester goby but don't know if my wrasse will pick ob him. I have a mccoskers flasher wrasse and a ocellaris clown. I also have pep shrimp, cleaner shrimp, all kinds of different snails including Turbo. None of them seem to touch the hair algae. Any ideas for my size tank? Thanks
I have some on 2 pieces of live rock i purchased from my lfs, my huge turbo ignores it. I need help on this matter too... Tagging along.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if it's common but my lawnmower blenny eats it. Also my emerald crabs.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My emerald crabs love the stuff too. From my understanding, hermits will eat it too. Kind of weird that your turbos won't eat it! In my last 55 gallon tank, I'd have small patches pop up here and there, and it never lasted long once my turbos found out it was there! They would mow through it in no time.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The best way to get rid of algea is to cut off the food source. I`m not a fan of getting livestock to get rid of it. Read this link on a good battle plan for fighting it.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I had an awful outbreak of hair algae in my 55 reef. While I got the conditions under control, I found an amazing algae blenny. I had wanted one for awhile, so I added him. He went to town on the stuff. He had about half of it consumed the day after he was added. Was pretty impressive to watch him go to town on it. My clowns weren't to happy as they were living in the stuff, that is how long and thick it was! But what was stated by melsou is right, you need to get the underlying issue under control as well. Mine was being fueled by bad water and overfeeding, which is pretty common. I just love corals and want to feed them to get bigger corals! Was a hard habit to break. But through manual removal prior to water changes, RO/DI water, minimizing feedings and stopping feeding my corals was the key to winning this battle. The algae blenny was just an awesome addition that helped me out when I wasn't shoulder deep in the tank. He is still nice and fat, months after getting control of the problem. One of my local SW pals actually just dropped her lawnmower off as it was withering away. He is working on the algae in my FOWLR tank and doing well. The point of me saying this is using a blenny to solve the algae issue won't work. At best it will remove it, starve to death, and the algae will return if something isn't changed about your system/management.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My starry blenny eats it up but he can be a bit aggressive toward anything that looks similar and eats/lives on the sand bed.

My blue spot jawfish was probably killed by him and he throws my crabs around when they are on the sand during "day time"
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

OK. Thanks guys. That's pretty funny about the blenny throwing the crabs around.lol

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
OK. Thanks guys. That's pretty funny about the blenny throwing the crabs around.lol
I used a sea hare to get rid of it they only consume hair algae when the algae is gone you must return it or trade it cause it will die hair algae is the only thing it eats but your real issue is phosphates or nitrates
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had this problem also, I join this site and took the advice of someone and controled the nutrients and the rest is history it didnt happen overnite but less feeding and water changes with ro/di water did. it in two weeks time.

Tags
algae, algae eater, eat, eater, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com