Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have two clowns so I have to feed, feeding brine shrimp

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brine shrimp is not nutritious to the fish at all, I have heard people comparing it to us living off of potato chips. It is okay for the odd treat now and then but i would suggest you get mysis shrimp. I feed my tanks a variety of mysis, blood worms, flakes, and a small amount of brine sometimes. When you feed do you use the whole cube? If so that is way too much and would definitely encourage algae growth. Feeding every other day is actually recommended for saltwater fish (unless you have something like a seahorse which needs multiple feedings a day), feeding every day is unnecessary.

Also when feeding with the cubes you should thaw the cube and rinse the shrimp before adding it to the tank. The gunk the shrimp are frozen in will pollute the tank more. I use a small cup with some water in it to thaw the shrimp then either tweezer the amount i need out or use a net to strain it out.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is quite a few things you can do to prevent or kill off an algae outbreak. For you i would start mainly on some water changes using RO/DI water (tap can have minerals/chemicals that throw off the tanks balance)

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

This list is very useful...mostly everything i said is in it actually lol

I hope your algae doesn't get worse. I'm still fighting an outbreak in my nano...its SLOWLY getting better
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Kms907 I will read the list , when I feed. I thaw the cube in ta nk water in a cup the with a spoon put three or four in at a time without water so they can eat before hits ground. If not brine shrimp then what?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just like humans a varied diet is best. Pelleted, frozen and even dried food soaked in a vitamin like Selcon is great for your fish. There are lots of choices out there.
PS: Welcome to AA!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mysis shrimp is very nutritious and it comes in frozen cubes just like the brine does. They are larger than the brine but you can get mini mysis which are about the same size as brine. There are a lot of different frozen cube options actually. (squid, variety packs which is like mysis algae and brine all mixed together, blood worms, ect)

and yes a varied diet is definitely best...I feed flake when im in too much of a hurry to thaw out shrimp haha

Tags
algea, hair, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com