Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

green hair algea on snails

How can I rid of this?????????

Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could pick them up and just scrub it off. Take a small bucket of tank water to do the scrubbing in, keeping them under water as much as possible. Did they have it when purchased or did it grow on them in your tank? If it has grown while they were in your tank you should start doing more water changes, less feeding, less light, ect so you dont get a hair algae outbreak in the tank.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your snails are growing it on purpose to make them look bigger to predators and to look seksi to the female snails.

I would just pull them out and clean them off
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

They grew it in my tank, my tank is only 5 weeks old and my lfs guy said after adding the snails, clowns and hermits to let things settle in for a few weeks doing only minimal w/c and keeping eye on water quality. He also said to scrub then dip just shell in fresh ro water, is the right thing to do?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow that is backwards logic. He's asking you to maintain water quality by not doing water changes? And no freshwater will probably not kill all the algae. Get your parameters in control and it should go away on its own.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the LFS guy was right to let it settle as in adding no fish for awhile but i would not recommend minimal water changes. What tests are you using? If there is hair algae growing in the tank then that means there is an imbalance in the water quality and more changes are needed.

I don't see much harm in dipping just the shell in fresh water if the water was the same temp as the tank...I would personally only scrub it off in the actual tank water though...less stressful for the snail I'd think
Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

But my parameters all look alright using both a quick strip daily for nitites, nitrates, ph and twice weekly with API liquid kit. ( master test for saltwater)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't trust my lfs or the next closest thing as Iive in a rural area and the science and selection is lacking...............aka Indiana and not Indianapolis
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The test kits are not always accurate plus the algae could be consuming some of the nitrite/nitrate making the tests look lower than they actually are. If the algae is growing it means there must be extra nutrients. I'm sure water changes will help. You do not want to chance an algae break out...trust me its hard to get rid of once its grown. Cutting back on lighting and feeding will also help (you shouldn't be feeding much or at all anyways since you have no fish...and no corals means you wont need much light either)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh i see you do have clowns, sorry i missed that. Feeding every other day or even every third day will not harm the fish.

Tags
algea, hair, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com