green hair/bubble algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjamontan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So this is my problem.
I had what I think was ich in my tank and lost three fish so this is what I did.
I bought a fish trap and got the last three fish out of the tank. This was just a few days over a month ago. I have lots of hair and bubble algae growing in my tank. I have fed the tank around 5 times since I took out the fish. The reason I fed the tank is that I have coral, shrimp, snails and crabs in it. I also run carbon and GFO in the tank. My lights are on there normal cycle and the problem has not been fixed.
What should I do now?

i just had a problem with bubble algae everwhere. went on here and was told several things. the emeral crab i wound up getting cleard it up in 4 days, no more bubble algae. got a turbo snail for the other algae. ive been told emeral crabs r hit or miss. i hit a homerun with the first one i got. LFS picked me out a hardy guy that hasnt been shy. hangs out in the open and rarely hides. i have a ton of coral and he hasnt touched a single piece.

You did get lucky, I have two emerald crabs and I don't think that they are touching it. I also have 5 turbo snails and they don't mess with the hair algae.

Cut back on feeding, keep up the water changes, and manual removal. I would remove the bubbles while siphoning water out so if you break one, the spores won't stay in the tank.
I would feed that tank twice a week at the most. I would also try to target feed the shrimp, instead of pouring a lot of stuff in the tank. one pellet each or one piece of silverside each...

the crabs also, but the snails will eat algae. Unless you are talking about carnivorous snails, like nassarius. These will need to be fed also.

Then the snails will need to be fed. The object is, to limit the amount of nutrients entering the tank and increase the amount of nutrients leaving the tank. Eventually, algae growth will slow, and you'll see less and less.

Nutrients leaving the tank, by water changes? I did a 10 gallon change today and will do another in 6 days. Is this good enough?

Back
Top Bottom